Discuss Stripping Wires With Side Cutters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It's just personal preference but I think it's good to try all options too. I have the knipex installation pliers and they work for me. Many tasks can be performed with them. However some people hate them.

I settled on these after trying all options. I still use the automatic strippers if I'm doing lots of cable stripping. Iv used side cutters and had similar issues to what you describe. Iv tried cable cutters, adjustable insulation cutters etc etc.

It really helped working with them all because on my recent AM2 exam I only had side cutters. Good job I knew how to actually use them, even if I dont on a daily basis.

It's just personal preference but I think it's good to try all options too. I have the knipex installation pliers and they work for me. Many tasks can be performed with them. However some people hate them.

I settled on these after trying all options. I still use the automatic strippers if I'm doing lots of cable stripping. Iv used side cutters and had similar issues to what you describe. Iv tried cable cutters, adjustable insulation cutters etc etc.

It really helped working with them all because on my recent AM2 exam I only had side cutters. Good job I knew how to actually use them, even if I dont on a daily basis.
So on the exam that's all you're allowed?

Sorry I'll clarify. I know there would be other tools, I was just curious if they allowed you to just bring your own tools, so you could use what you prefer or whether you just had to use what they provided

The centre I did the assessment at didn't allow you to take anything in. Even have lockers for your phone/wallet etc

There's many ways to skin a cat (not that I'd ever skin a cat. I love mine).

There's many different approaches to sripping. Evetually, you develop a bit of a "muscle memory" for it, and it's different for everyone.

I like to use CK redline cutters with the notch in for t&e. But i also know chaps who use cable loppers and side cutters.

Simialrily, I like to use a knife for circling around round flex outer insulation (many will gasp, but i've done it this way for years and my hands have done it that many times, I just know "the right feel" to stop it going too deep - plus I still always check each inner core individually for nicks even after all these years)

In short, you won't get a solid answer. Just try a few tools, try on lots of scrap cable and in time, you'll get a system that works for you wthat you won't struggle with.

Having read all the various posts about dedicated stripping tools, pliers or side cutters, of which I have various examples collected and used over the years...
There is one method that hasn't been described in the posts as far I can see for side cutters, to strip ready for termination.
I was shown this method at college 35 years ago, it has stayed with me, is simple, quick and effective. It works for all types of side cutters with insulated single or stranded cores to 2.5mm.
(my preference is for smaller Lindstrom flush-cut cutters for smaller thinner gauges, because of the work I predominantly do)

The method is a variation on squashing the insulation, perpendicular to the core but only sufficient the crease the insulation without getting close to deforming the conductor.
Next use the cutters to nick the insulation at the edge of the crease line to close to the conductor. This effectively puts a cut in the insulation allowing it to part easily. Put the cutters back across the cable on the crease line, apply firm pressure, just a little more than you did to crease the insulation allowing the cutting edges to bite in, but not enough to catch the conductor and while maintaining this pressure push the insulation off the conductor.
I hope that makes sense. With a little bit of practise, it's as quick as an automated stripping tool.

There's many different approaches to sripping. Evetually, you develop a bit of a "muscle memory" for it, and it's different for everyone.

problem is your muscle memory, adapts slowly over time as your cutters loose there keen cutting edge. then you buy a new replacement set, same make, same size and for a whole morning, most wires you strip become an inch shorter!!!

There is one method that hasn't been described in the posts as far I can see for side cutters, to strip ready for termination.3

Interestingly @Jon_iz the method you describe is one of the methods I use day to day - (or at least once I have removed the outermost sheath of a flex using my method). Yours is actually the earliest method I remember of being shown to strip cables by my father.

Curiously, I use the same flat lindstrom cutters you describe as I do a lot of work with control cable and find them great for a flush cut (they come into their own when terminating an rj45 plug)

Which is a point in itself - lindstroms are £35+ a go. Quality tools make all the difference. Mine must be 17 years old now and still razor sharp.

I find I alternate methods a bit however depending on exactly what job I'm doing, what feels right and what day of the week it is.

This will not be popular, but it must be me, reading all the answers on here, aren't side cutters just that, they are designed to cut things, I have always used a dedicated wire stripper, IMO I would not trust a mechanic who used a pair of pliers to undo the nuts on my car, does the job, but is not the correct tool, but pliers may have to be used if some muppet has used them previously. One caveat, side cutters with notch's in are in effect wire strippers. Now days weak old Arthritic hands make these my go to tool: C.K Automatic Wire Stripper - https://www.toolstation.com/ck-automatic-wire-stripper/p42984 when I do anything for myself that is.

for flex I use a rotary stripper. far easier. set depth. spin round a couple of times, pull off sheath.

Reply to Stripping Wires With Side Cutters in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock