Discuss Supply for an outbuilding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

JRave

Hi all,
I'm having some trouble designing an installation for an outbuilding.
It's about 110m from the nearest CU in the house, which is fed via 16mm T+E by the main db, a good 15m away.
The building will have something like a 9.5kw instantaneous water heater in it, as well as about 3kw worth of electric heating plus lighting and one power ring.
I've made some calculations using a design current of 80A, as I can imagine the shower pulling the water heater, while the heating is on full blast and the kettle is on.

So I'm getting back that I should use 70mm 2-core SWA, which is massive. I've got the problem of getting such a big cable dressed tidily around the house, and then terminating it with additional termination boxes at either end.

This is the first time I've had to come up with a supply like this and I'm worried I'm going overboard.

I've looked seriously at diversity, but with the scenario I described before, I don't think it will apply much here.

The quote I've had for the cable is £9.82p/m. The materials for this supply alone will hit the £1500 mark so I'm worried that's a bit steep also.

Another thing is that it's a tree house! So it's all wood. The walls will be clad either side with insulation between an I'm not finding anything to suggest I should use any specially rated cable. It's only a 4.5/6 meter room but I was thinking of going low smoke.

Any help/comments gratefully welcomed.

Thanks,

John

Just wondering what your customer's home planet is.

Can't comment on the power you need, you need what you need. However you won't be supplying that additional 80A requirement from a 2nd CU fed by 16mm tails/cable surely? What do you have as the main supply type and size?

If it's voltage drop (because of the distance) forcing the cable size up; then try the calcs with say two or three smaller cables carrying your remote supply.

Tell them to buy a bloody generator, your incoming supply probably wont be big enough to take that load anyway. If it isn't and that needs upgrading then maybe you could ask them to install a new supply in the outhouse too?

Yeah it's the volt drop, I'll try some other calcs, but would it make a lot of difference to the cost and complication?
The main supply is 100A TT.

For the calcs, do I just work out with half the load, twice, to get 2 smaller cables?

It's going to be a tree house B&B! Has planning go-ahead.
I made some inquires to western power for a new supply this morning, but, as you'd expect, there's a massive process to go through before they'll talk costs to you.
Perhaps it is a bit ambitious to power from the house anyway. I didn't check to see what they use for heating and showers in the house. But yes, I'm thinking now if they have any other big pullers then new supply it is.

why not bang a few solar panels in the tree. make it self sufficient. no heaters though. army and navy stores for a greatcoat.

Reply to Supply for an outbuilding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net