Currently reading:
The phantom doorbell!.......

Discuss The phantom doorbell!....... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Called to a small job this morning, woman in her mid 40's says her doorbell is not working properly...
says it keeps going off but nobody is at the door as she can see the front door from her kitchen window.
So I arrive and check it over. The switch is in good order and the wires go all way back to the consumer unit, however it then gets a bit weird the wires are not even connected into the consumer unit anymore and are tied up next to it. the transformer is sat on top the shelf next to Cu covered in dust and grime and has been for some considerable time looking at it.
No voltage at all on the bell wires.
She is adamant she can hear the doorbell going but how do you tell her its all in her head! there is no doorbell and the old one is not connected!
Not one to make light of peoples mental health issues but she is clearly not the full ticket. Charged £20 for my time rather than usual call out fee as I didnt do much apart from put a blank plate and membrane grommet in the CU to fill a gap, dont want her poking inside.
For some reason i keep getting calls that in all honesty should be going to social services.

You could offer to fit one of those fancy wireless doorbells which play a tune, then explain that if she hears any doorbell other than the chosen tune she should make a note of the time and then ignore it. Offer to call her in a couple of months to see how it's going.
Auditory hallucinations are often a symptom of psychiatric disorder and she may need help.

Reply to The phantom doorbell!....... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock