• Thread starter Steve Riley
  • Start date
  • Replies 22
  • Views 4K
  • Tags
    swa

Currently reading:
Trees and Swa

Discuss Trees and Swa in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve Riley

Evening,

I'm finally getting round to replacing the cable to my workshop/garage.

The most direct (best) route passes close to a large mature spruce, 40-50 feet high and two feet or so diam. at breast height (guess). Does anyone have a reference for how close to the tree I can trench the cable? 25mm swa in duct 600mm down, run about 35m. I'm worried about damaging the tree, and also damaging the cable if the tree blows down!

I would rather not employ an arborist, they are expensive and very conservative in my experience.

It is on my land, I will notify, and am not going to ask about earthing, sorry!

regards, Steve.

Can't you just make a semi-circular diversion around the tree at a sensible distance. I know it will add to the cable length but it's never an ideal world. I don't know much about trees as such but I'd just give it a 4 or 5 meter berth.

Can't you just make a semi-circular diversion around the tree at a sensible distance. I know it will add to the cable length but it's never an ideal world. E]I don't know much about trees as such but I'd just give it a 4 or 5 meter berth.[/QUOT

C'mon now Marvo.as you should know,its a minimum plank and a half from the stump
icon6.png

Can't you just make a semi-circular diversion around the tree at a sensible distance. I know it will add to the cable length but it's never an ideal world. E]I don't know much about trees as such but I'd just give it a 4 or 5 meter berth.[/QUOT

C'mon now Marvo.as you should know,its a minimum plank and a half from the stump
icon6.png

Come on stumpy, it's a trunk.......or no need to worry about the root:gettree:

Most of the trees in Africa only grow to a few feet in height. If they're in the way of a cable run we just pick them up and move them ;)

why 25mm outa curiosity. what load are we talking in this workshop/ garage

Take a look at the top of the tree so to speak, the root system will be a mirror image almost I think, although that may have been a dream...

Take a look at the top of the tree so to speak, the root system will be a mirror image almost I think, although that may have been a dream...

Has someone been smoking Mangroves by any chance
icon7.png

Not too far off the mark. I had to get arbourist at insistence of Planning Officer for PP. He did calculate root system with reference to the size of the tree canopy

Just give the tree a wide berth. They are a menace! Cut them all down.

I know to my cost the damage the tree roots can do.

A PILCSWA went down with a high resistant earth fault. Weeks of testing, and I still couldn’t find the fault.

Desperate measured were needed. The feeder was fused at 450A, I put something a bit bigger in 1½ X ½ inch copper bars don’t blow.
But it had a 2500A ACB to back it up, so it was OK.

One of the fitters was outside the substation when I closed the switch, according to him the tree lifted a couple of foot and then caught fire. The tree roots had broken a joint.

Found the fault!

You are correct , the root system does follow the pattern of the canopy . It's natures way of stopping them falling over.

You are correct , the root system does follow the pattern of the canopy . It's natures way of stopping them falling over.

the light dawns. that's why we have feet. to stop us falling over!. not a very good design as regards us humans, but then again, trees don't drink and fall over.

the light dawns. that's why we have feet. to stop us falling over!. not a very good design as regards us humans, but then again, trees don't drink and fall over.

You could always have your legs removed... then you could be like a Weebles Wobble and never fall over... :) I'm brainy me....

i'd be sitting on my brains then.

A good rule of thumb but not always the case. For example poplars can apparently put out roots over 2 times their height. Silver Birches have a pretty small root system. We've got a large conifer (about 60ft high) just over the fence from us and there are 2" diameter roots surfacing in our lawn well outside the canopy area. I am not convinced cutting them would do any harm though.

If you want to go under the canopy I would avoid going within 5m of the trunk and carefully hand dig anything under the canopy and avoid cutting any significant roots.
Not that I really know what I am talking about either........

A good rule of thumb but not always the case. For example poplars can apparently put out roots over 2 times their height. Silver Birches have a pretty small root system. We've got a large conifer (about 60ft high) just over the fence from us and there are 2" diameter roots surfacing in our lawn well outside the canopy area. I am not convinced cutting them would do any harm though.

If you want to go under the canopy I would avoid going within 5m of the trunk and carefully hand dig anything under the canopy and avoid cutting any significant roots.
Not that I really know what I am talking about either........

Close enough , different types have different root systems , and will expand beyond the canopy . If you see a massive branch there will be a massive root in the same direction.

To OP

Whats wrong with the original cable? If does need replacing why can't you follow the same route? Why 25mm?

tree roots will squash even the biggest armoured cables like a stick of gum , with time.
i'd route the cable on the opposite side of the garden to the tree even if it doubled the circuit length to be honest.

I'd leave in on the surface.

Sounds like the OP doesn't want any advice, nor is going to listen to any.

And why isn't this in the DIY section?

Thanks for the helpful and humorous replies. It does seem like there is a lack of information on this subject on the internet, or is it a case of arbourists keeping secrets so they can charge consultation fees?

To answer some questions, the existing cable is being replaced because it is too small, especially for bonding purposes, the existing route cannot be used because of other construction.

25mm because max demand is15kw, I know 16mm would comply, however we are out in the sticks, the supply runs underground for half a mile and there is already a large vd. The dno are not interested in improving it.

Surface is not an option as part of the run is lawn.

Why does Murdoch think I won't listen to advice? All I said was that I didn't want to pay for someone to tell me something I could research myself, hence the op. I think the concensus is to stay as far away from the tree as possible, but to be honest I am no wiser.

regards, Steve.

Reply to Trees and Swa in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back