Discuss To bury an earth conductor in a trench under the ducts ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Simon47

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just a bit of a muse at the moment, work won't happen for a while, though I do already have the ducting.
We have (what's left of - it was rotten, the storms just finished it off) a greenhouse which we're thinking of replacing with a garden room, man cave, workshop, whatever you want to call it - oh yes, SWMBO will be allowed half of it to sit and draw etc. :D At the moment it's fed with a bit of SWA (only 1.5mm2 buried all of an inch or two down which is too small for my workshop. My plan is to dig a proper trench, put some ducts (and a drain) in so I can pull whatever cables I need later - network could be useful, definitely better power, but who knows - hence the ducts. Getting on for about 20m altogether.
So I'm thinking, why not drop a bare cable or tape in the bottom and add an earth electrode while I'm at it.

Downsides: Cost
Upsides: Supplementary earth electrode (TN-C-S supply), good hefty earth bonding (though technically not needed as no extraneous conductive parts), bigger/extra CPC which might make selection of cable*/protection combinations more "interesting" when I get to that stage.

Thoughts ? Good ? Bad ? Complete waste of money ? I'll have some of what you're smoking ? (only joking on that one)
And what would you use ?

* Does anyone make brown/blue concentric cable ? (not split-con)

Reply to To bury an earth conductor in a trench under the ducts ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

A quick search for earth tape didn't come up with much, though this thread was of interest. I'll start by mentioning that I've led a sheltered...
Replies
Views
M
I recently purchased my first house and have decided to re-instate the electrical supply out to the shed. I’m a maintenance technician offshore so...
Replies
Views
spary
S
M
Hello there. I'm forever looking over these forums looking for advice, and typically I always find an answer, except it seems in this one instance...
Replies
Views
B
Here's one that'll make you laugh then cringe,I was doing a replacement RCBO consumer unit for an old wylex rewirable fuse unit on a TT system...
Replies
Views
Engineer54
E

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock