Discuss What cable for this outside light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

adonis2

-
DIY
Reaction score
What cable would you use to connect this light through a cavity wall to a FCU the other side of the wall?
I am thinking, 1.5mm² 3 Core NYY-J Cable,
or 1.5mm² 3 Core Rubber Flex.

The light that is being replaced has twin and earth as it has choc box connectors which won't work on the new light.
it is protected by an RCBO on the board.20230502_133218.jpg20230502_133115.jpg

Thanks Dusty, that was my thought to use flex.

By the way, do you see how rough they have left them cables, and they fell out of the connector when I undid the gland nut.

Loosk like they stripped the cable with their teeth and probably did up the connection screws with the back of a tea spoon

Thanks Dusty, that was my thought to use flex.

By the way, do you see how rough they have left them cables, and they fell out of the connector when I undid the gland nut.

The stranded wire should not have been tinned if it was used with screw terminals. It should have been ferruled or left bare. Tinned wires will become loose over time.

Reply to What cable for this outside light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I have a spare 2.5mm 3 core flex cable. Can I use it for an outdoor light? It will be connected a junction box that's already supplying...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm wondering if it's permitted to replace an outside wall light myself if I use the existing wiring from the old light. In theory I just...
Replies
Views
Hi, i live in a new build house where they builders have left a junction box on the outside of my house. In the junction box there is a 6mm twin...
Replies
Views
For various reasons out of my control, we have wound up in a situation where we have 1.5mm SWA cables buried in these pillars and exiting out of...
Replies
Views
I have a strip light in the kitchen operated from a single switch. I want to replace it with a straight bar 4 spot array. There are three supply...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock