Discuss 5 cables into one don't go? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DeanUK

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, hopefully you can help.

I am installing 5 external floodlights in the garden. The units have a 1.5 mtr cable with a 13amp plug. I am fitting these around some new decking and the cables are to short. So i want to join them all up using 121 cable connectors to extend the cable a cpl of mtr's. to a single junction box and have one cable coming out of the box. and run them from a single cable with a 13amp plug into an external socket. Now i cant seem to find something that will join all these wires into a single wire for the plug.
Can i put 4 lives twisted together into a single block and the 4 neutral and then 4 earths, then just put the plug wires into the block. Do i just need a bigger size block to fit all 4 cables into one hole?.

There does not seem to be a block where the live wires etc are all joined.
Attached a layout and explanation

Attachments

• wiring layout.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 30
Wagos in the junction box: Wago 221 Series 32A 5-Way Lever Connector 25 Pack - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wago-221-series-32a-5-way-lever-connector-25-pack/5201r

Wagos in the junction box: Wago 221 Series 32A 5-Way Lever Connector 25 Pack - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/wago-221-series-32a-5-way-lever-connector-25-pack/5201r
Thanks Strima, but where does the single wire going out go? Ah, maybe it doesn't matter, if the other holes are filled with the live cable, are they all connected with a internal metal strip? If so i just need to buy 4 of those blocks?...hmm no that wont work, as there are only 3 wires for the plug.

Each of the 5-way Wago blocks takes 5 conductors and they are all connected together by the terminal. So one Wago for L, another for N, a 3rd for E, etc.

Wago also do an 8-way, but the push-in style (773 series) are not suitable for fine stranded wire as you might have for light flex, also they are a bit of a pain to get the wire back out if you made a mistake.

Each of the 5-way Wago blocks takes 5 conductors and they are all connected together by the terminal. So one Wago for L, another for N, a 3rd for E, etc.

Wago also do an 8-way, but the push-in style (773 series) are not suitable for fine stranded wire as you might have for light flex, also they are a bit of a pain to get the wire back out if you made a mistake.
Thanks PC1966 but 4 (lights, 3 wires each light) going in so 4 blocks is fine, but only 1 plug (3 wires) coming out? leaves a block with nothing coming out.

Unless i put the wires from the 4th light into the other 3 blocks, means the holes the wire goes into will have two wires in one hole?

Last edited:
Thanks PC1966 but 4 (lights, 3 wires each light) going in so 4 blocks is fine, but only 1 plug (3 wires) coming out? leaves a block with nothing coming out.

Unless i put the wires from the 4th light into the other 3 blocks, means the holes the wire goes into will have two wires in one hole?
I'm not sure I understand.

If you have 4 lights and 2 other cables (supply in, and out to rest of lights) you need 6-way, so daisy chain pairs of 5-way to get 8 usable ways per conductor.

I'm not sure I understand.

If you have 4 lights and 2 other cables (supply in, and out to rest of lights) you need 6-way, so daisy chain pairs of 5-way to get 8 usable ways per conductor.
Seems like Friday night is musical chairs night.......

So at junction box 1 you have 5 sets of 3-core cables, so you need 3 sets of 5-way terminals, one per core.

At junction box 2 you have 3 sets of 3-core cable, but as you bought a box of 5-way Wagos you again use 3 * 5-way there.

Simplez!
FFS! of course!.... I have been over thinking it, getting stressed and doubting myself....Thanks mate, that should do it.

I went to two electrical suppliers today, for advice on what to buy and how to join it all together, neither of them knew how to do it, they just said were not electricians, we just sell the stuff :(

Right last thing, and i'll leave you alone..lol these should do?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/schne...rectangular-junction-box-with-knockouts/30356

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/tower-nylon-male-comp-gland-20mm-2-pack/80851#_=p

Reply to 5 cables into one don't go? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net