Discuss Annex supply, (wont give meter) , demand problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI all,

Ill keep this as short as possible, basically annex off existing Large house, didn't do demand as existing house as swimming pool and its a large 60'shouse

told customer either upgrade existing house to 3 phase or new supply to Annex

Annex .
Electric UFH thoughout (1 bed annex with bathroom kitchen/Lounge)
car charger
Electric Shower
Immersion
Cooker
Hob

i send DNO round to give me options, either upgrade to 3 phase in existing or NEW

She said NEW was best option , engineer that came with her said existing isn't even big enough for the house thats there now.

new Install over two roads so 6k install.

heres the problem
he cant get a meter on as the postcode comes up as there is a meter on already( didnt know that was a thing)
his SON who is now involved said he has done the calcs (he very good at this sort of thing you know) and has said we could come of the existing, he has basically told be i have advised him wrong, got a meeting with them just wanted your thoughts?

trouble is i think that if he has to make the annex a separate building for the meter he has to go to building control and then the annex becomes its own house and hell have to pay council tax. (im lost now)

thanks
GHrand

All this isn’t your problem. It’s between the customer and power company. Don’t get involved.
you’ve said the house needs a further supply end of.
if customer disagrees they cN use someone else.

Cancel that meeting with them and walk away.

if you do attend the meeting give them the total load of property after diversity and tell t(em the short comings.
if they don’t agree with those loads, get them to get a second opinion. if the second opinion says it’s+fine then they c@n do the job. Walk away.

As above exactly what Pete says.

Plus the Meter / Postcode issue is wrong.
How do buildings converted to flats manage to get 3 , 4 or 10 or more meters.
A single postcode covers between 15 and 20 properties, they all have their own meter.

It's a false issue caused by some energy suppliers.
The customer needs to find an new energy supplier.

But as above walk away, it's going to end up being a time consuming and loss making job.

cant walk away as the builder gives me a lot of work and I've known him 25years +, he's fine and just wants it sorted, I'm confident in the meeting as I've rang the lad who is doing the job, and asked him what he's put in, UFH everywhere and car charger, electric shower, so defo needs a new supply, I'm just a bit miffed why they won't give a supply, but now you've mentions flat etc ill investigate

thanks
guys

cant walk away as the builder gives me a lot of work and I've known him 25years +, he's fine and just wants it sorted, I'm confident in the meeting as I've rang the lad who is doing the job, and asked him what he's put in, UFH everywhere and car charger, electric shower, so defo needs a new supply, I'm just a bit miffed why they won't give a supply, but now you've mentions flat etc ill investigate

thanks
guys
Ok you can’t walk away. In that case step,back until the issue is resolved. It’s not your problem and you can’t do anything about this issue.

You can’t get the energy supplier to do any thing and it’s outside your scope. explain that to the customer and your builder friend.

don’t be scared to walk away from a non profitable pain in the --- just because it’s a mate builder or some one who gives you loads of work.

there is loads of work out there. You can pick and chose.

Just re read.
you say “the lad who is doing the job“ and he has already fitted an abundance of load.

An assessment of supply and=load should have been done prior to start. Unless the son who is very good at this sort of thing did it, then he probably has egg on his face and needs to prove he is right even if he isn’t.

so you are not doing this electrical installation.

what is your role in the build?

The problem with De-regulation is that now the Energy Supplier has to request a new or upgraded supply from the DNO.
If you can't get past the Energy supplier your stuck.
If you've got a DNO contact you may be able to get them to explain how simple it really is to the energy supplier.

Had a meeting and he's fine tbh, a bit miffed as to why he can't get a meter but I said we should be able to sort it and he understands that he will eventually have to have this cutout when he comes to let it etc.

thanks for the replies guys

Had a meeting and he's fine tbh, a bit miffed as to why he can't get a meter but I said we should be able to sort it and he understands that he will eventually have to have this cutout when he comes to let it etc.

thanks for the replies guys
He will need a new supply to cope with the installed load. waiting til it’s rented out isn’t an option.
You will not be able to energise the new stuff til the new supply is available.

Just re read.
you say “the lad who is doing the job“ and he has already fitted an abundance of load.

An assessment of supply and=load should have been done prior to start. Unless the son who is very good at this sort of thing did it, then he probably has egg on his face and needs to prove he is right even if he isn’t.

so you are not doing this electrical installation.

what is your role in the build

i started it , the daughter had covid so I had to isolate, mate took it over. the owner had no issue getting the supply in but expected me to know it wasn't a house just an annex off the existing property, he would have to go back to planing to get a separate dwelling with a postal address to be able to get a meter, I'm with him a bit on it but I didn't know, I've looked at the DNO quote and it stated its a annex and not a house so I assume ill be able to complain to them a bit, but I've also rang around for him and most of them said it needs its own address, I have however found one that said it can be done no problem but they are not doing it though covid on the big six are able .

Reply to Annex supply, (wont give meter) , demand problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net