Discuss Cable routing inside a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

@Andy Hames the board itself isn't bad at all in terms of neatness, but that isn't the be all and end all - there are a few things that you couldn't hope to know unless you've spent time studying the wiring regs.
There's a general principle that things are tested before they are energised, for good reasons.
I'd try and get a sparks on board to test what is there, and advise you on steps to finish this in a compliant way. There are people out there that don't mind DIY'ers doing the first fix.
Sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion regarding that coil of wire. I was concerned for your safety.

Although it appears neat, there are a lot of mistakes would need rectified to meet regulation.
I don't doubt that, I do have a qualified electrician coming to do an inspection
I expect the 2.5 radial is still looping around the house live until it returns to the CU to complete the ring.
Is the 32 amp 2.5mm radial feeding a socket or sockets ?
It currently feeds one socket, it won't be extended until the other side is completed.

@Andy Hames the board itself isn't bad at all in terms of neatness, but that isn't the be all and end all - there are a few things that you couldn't hope to know unless you've spent time studying the wiring regs.
There's a general principle that things are tested before they are energised, for good reasons.
I'd try and get a sparks on board to test what is there, and advise you on steps to finish this in a compliant way. There are people out there that don't mind DIY'ers doing the first fix.
Sorry I jumped to the wrong conclusion regarding that coil of wire. I was concerned for your safety.
No, no problem at all.

I do have a qualified electrician coming to check and advise and eventually do the EICR and certification, etc.

I'm fully aware there's a whole lot I don't know, but I have tried to learn and I've done some testing as best I can, for example the connected ring and the cooker radial I continuity and resistance tested each conductor as well as making sure there was no continuity between them before ever connecting them (as well as testing earth continuity between the cooker chassis and main earth).

I fully expected a fairly robust response but I'd rather ask than just carry on without doing so.

No, no problem at all.

I do have a qualified electrician coming to check and advise and eventually do the EICR and certification, etc.

I'm fully aware there's a whole lot I don't know, but I have tried to learn and I've done some testing as best I can, for example the connected ring and the cooker radial I continuity and resistance tested each conductor as well as making sure there was no continuity between them before ever connecting them (as well as testing earth continuity between the cooker chassis and main earth).

I fully expected a fairly robust response but I'd rather ask than just carry on without doing so.

It's not an EICR that needs completing.

You really didn't ought to be doing this work, especially if it is for someone else.

You need a calibrated MFT and the ability to use it and understand the results that it gives. You also need an understanding of the wiring regs and how to apply them

I'm all for competent DIY stuff, but this is beyond that.

Who is doing the rest of the rewiring then. This is a prime example of the epic failure of Part P, set up to stop incompetent persons from working in dwellings.
The rest will be done by a someone who recently completed their electricians training, they will also be doing some of the testing.

This isn't the same person as I previously mentioned who has more experience and is better qualified.

you don't agree Dave ? why not
Depending on what mood I'm in and how much beer etc. I could argue this one both ways!
Technically if it's not a ring then 433.1.204 doesn't apply so the special permission to use a 32A breaker for cable that can't carry 32A that doesn't exist.
I believe that's true even though it's electrically equivalent to a spur off a ring to a double socket with the connection point being at the CU.
So I know what you mean and I think I know what he means....

The rest will be done by a someone who recently completed their electricians training, they will also be doing some of the testing.

This isn't the same person as I previously mentioned who has more experience and is better qualified.
Not sure if that is worse or better if they are allowing you to do what you have done.

It's feeding one socket on a first floor, it cannot draw more than 13 amps that would be some de-rating of a cable that's capable of carrying 26 amps wouldn't you think ?

Last edited:
Depending on what mood I'm in and how much beer etc. I could argue this one both ways!
Technically if it's not a ring then 433.1.204 doesn't apply so the special permission to use a 32A breaker for cable that can't carry 32A that doesn't exist.
I believe that's true even though it's electrically equivalent to a spur off a ring to a double socket with the connection point being at the CU.
So I know what you mean and I think I know what he means....

Reply to Cable routing inside a consumer unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net