Discuss Ceiling fixture has only 2 out of 3 lights working in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have replaced my ceiling fixture. The previous one had one light bulb and now I have put one that has 3 light bulbs. The problem that I have is that only 2 light bulbs are working. It was one light previously but since I have replaced the switch I've miraculously got 2 out of 3 working.

Can someone help me with this?

I used a multimeter to check if the wires are ok and they all are. I am using 3 philips hue light bulbs that are 10w each and I think I’ve got 1mm wire on the ceiling light.

The light that doesn’t turn on doesn’t turn on no matter what I do, I have tried moving them around

Hi, I have replaced my ceiling fixture. The previous one had one light bulb and now I have put one that has 3 light bulbs. The problem that I have is that only 2 light bulbs are working. It was one light previously but since I have replaced the switch I've miraculously got 2 out of 3 working.

I used a multimeter to check if the wires are ok and they all are. I am using 3 philips hue light bulbs that are 10w each and I think I’ve got 1mm wire on the ceiling light.

The light that doesn’t turn on doesn’t turn on no matter what I do, I have tried moving them around

Hi mate, welcome to the forum.

So if 2 out of the 3 lights are working on the 1 light assembly then I'd say it has something to do with the wiring of the new light you have put up.

Can you put a pic up of the wiring of the new light. make sure to isolate the lighting circuit first.

bad connection with the lamp, loose connection within the fitting? you need the help of an electrician in my opinion

I can’t take a picture at the moment because I am at work.

The wiring in the fixture is pretty simple, I have 2 wires coming from each bulb fixture connected together (blues with blues, browns with browns), ground wire connected to the fixture.
I would have thought that it’s not working either because of the switch or because I have put too many light bulbs on a 1mm wire but then I thought that if that was the case then surely the other light bulb would work if I took one of the other 2 out, but after I have replaced the switch I saw that I had 2 working compared to 1 before changing the switch so now I am thinking that maybe I need another switch but all I can do at the switch is plug just 2 wires in as it’s a single switch. I will take the fixture down again and double check all the connections.

Thanks for the answers so far!

Could it something as simple as a faulty lamp, I assume you have moved the lamps around in the fitting to check

the third light bulb is faulty or incompatible with the fixture. Try replacing it with another bulb or a different brand to see if that resolves the issue. If the new bulb still doesn't work, you may need to check the fixture's wiring and connections to make sure they are secure. If you're not familiar with electrical work, it may be best to consult an electrician for a professional diagnosis and solution.

There could be a few different reasons why only two of your three light bulbs are working after replacing your ceiling fixture. Here are a few things you can check:

Check the wiring: Make sure that all the wires are connected properly and securely. Check for any loose connections or wires that are not fully connected. You may also want to double-check that the wires are connected to the correct terminals on the light fixture.

Check the light bulbs: It's possible that the third light bulb is simply burnt out. Try swapping it out with one of the working light bulbs to see if that solves the problem.

Check the dimmer switch: If you are using a dimmer switch, make sure that it is compatible with your new light fixture and that it is set to full brightness. Some dimmer switches may not be compatible with LED bulbs or may not work properly with certain types of light fixtures.

Check the wattage Make sure that the wattage of the bulbs you are using is within the range that the light fixture is designed for. If the bulbs have a higher wattage than the fixture is designed for, it could be causing the third bulb to not work properly.

Reply to Ceiling fixture has only 2 out of 3 lights working in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net