Discuss change plastic light switches to metal ones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

walrus

DIY
Reaction score
hi guys probably been asked a thousand times before but i wanna change plastic light switches on wall to metal ones but there are only 2 red wires inside metal back box with no earth wires so do i need to stick with plastic switches?

Can you see how the cables enter the back box is it through steel conduit, is it possible to show a clear pic.

Yes that's right, and with metal boxes in behind I'd check carefully that there's no damage at all to the insulation on the switch cables, make sure connections are properly secure with no copper on show at the terminals and also consider using switches with white plastic screw caps to minimise any risk.

Yes that's right, and with metal boxes in behind I'd check carefully that there's no damage at all to the insulation on the switch cables, make sure connections are properly secure with no copper on show at the terminals and also consider using switches with white plastic screw caps to minimise any risk.
thanks

Two red wires sounds unusual. First, due to the relative age of the cables and second it suggests singles which in turn suggests conduit as @westward10 had suggested. Something is not right. Maybe it is two twin and earths just using the reds of each? If T&E then the earth may be further up the conduit?

T&E with two brown wires exists, but I've never come across any. Did T&E with two reds ever exist?
Something I have come across (in the house I'm living in now, amongst others) was switches wired in 1.0mm2 6181Y, or more likely the imperial equivalent.

Ah that could be it the old single cores. Probably a borrowed neutral then lurking about with the old type of wiring that involves.

T&E with two brown wires exists, but I've never come across any. Did T&E with two reds ever exist?
Something I have come across (in the house I'm living in now, amongst others) was switches wired in 1.0mm2 6181Y, or more likely the imperial equivalent.
T/E with both conductors in red insulation was common back in 70's and 80.s. made it a doddle to ID the switch wire in a ceiling rose.

T/E with both conductors in red insulation was common back in 70's and 80.s. made it a doddle to ID the switch wire in a ceiling rose.
I'm (almost) as old as you, and have been wiring domestic properties since the 70's, but I've never set eyes on twin brown or twin red T&E, either in an existing installation or in stock at any of the wholesalers I've dealt with. It just doesn't exist in my part of the country.

think it has been very popular in Ireland. was not all that common here, but available and used on some new builds back then.

I have a full drum of twin red in my garage, and some old colours, white sheathed t&e, left over from my very early days of DIY. It helps to disguise the date of any additions (in my own property only!).
I have been told that I can get a good price for it on e-bay...

Reply to change plastic light switches to metal ones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock