Currently reading:
Domestic Cu's

Discuss Domestic Cu's in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

hoppy

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

just wondered what everyone thought was the best domestic consumer unit in your experience and what would you put in your house.

Looking to re-wire my house and don't know whether to go with wylex or mk.

thanks

Craig

wylex are good units, only thing about them i don't like is the rats nest of tails main sw to rcds

Always use wylex on SPN boards and small TPN DB's, find them pretty good. The only thing that gets me which seems to be sorted now, was they multitude of slightly different MCBs they made, made them look untidy and covers hard to fit. However fitted one the other day and the breakers seemed to be excellent and very well designed!

Never used MK, but have just bought one to use for myself, the only reason being I got everything very cheap on ebay!

Hi
Wylex are ok and good for price but when terminating cables into the top of breakers its easy not to nip the cable properly as they are are not very deep !!!..I like mk they are same price and just feel better quality but breakers allways seemed a bit on the pxss (lean to one side when puting the cover on )

Rich

better room in the chnt boards with the solid links, and a 1 way, non RCD N terminal thrown in. some mayt knock them, but they are to BS. and good value.

i agree that the Wylex are the better option. Like telectrix say's, the tails inside leave a little to be desired. Not too keen on the MK ones, fitted a load a while back and found it difficult to get behind the MCB's where the cable enters from the bottom of the board!

There are always offers on with the Wylex too which makes them good value! Then the added bonus that many places stock them so extra breakers etc are easy to get your hands on! Not sure about where you live, but here not many of the wholesalers stock the MK ones

The only point i am not keen on with them, is how easy it is to miss the actual bus bar when tightening the MCB's in the bottom! TonyMc showed me a good trick using an old car mirror the other week to check them - much better than lying on the floor trying to look up!

Last edited:
Square D. Theyre the dogs danglies, if you use RCB you have like 1.5cm of room, no raised din rail, back entry is allmost imposible to work with i'd recomend you use them lol. Wylex are ok, the breakers used to allways look wonkey to me no matter how hard you try to get them to sit straight, Eaton board are my Favourite

Last edited by a moderator:
The new hager boards are my choice.
i used a Wylex last week for reduced cost. OK but not as robust as the Hager.
Also not so keen on anything Electrium since the recall.
I've used a few MK and like them overall, but find the Hager better value for the quality.

When you buy a new wylex CU with all the mcbs etc already in place immediately check the plastic supports that hold the DIN rail they are very weak and are often cracked if it has been at all roughly handled. I have had to take several back and now always open the box straight away.

i got a orange shed special supplied to fit the other month. £50 fully loaded. cracking board for the money same as the BG 10 way. plenty of room and looked quite good up on the wall

I have been fitting a few Contro lGear units lately, they are a bit cheaper than others and do the job okay. But I am about to replace an older Merlin Gerin unit in my own house to 17th split board and have opted for Hager. A bit more expensive, but very neat and I particularly like they way they acheive the IP4X for the horizontal top surface.

i like the contactum CUs, but they change the profile of the breakers every lunch time so you end up with 3 different styles of MCB in the board. looks totally unprofessional. ( and if i've spelt that correctly, i've not had enough)

funny you should say that. got a starbreaker board cheap, fully loaded, £10, going to fit at home when i can get round to it.

MK all the way for me unless a little tight for space and then I use Wylex. Forget bringing tails in from the bottom and up behind the main switch. No room and a mass of RCD cables in the way. Apart from that they are a sturdy board.
Fitted a Crabtree once.
Fitted a Control Gear once.

Reply to Domestic Cu's in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back