Currently reading:
UK Generator connection to mains supply questions

Discuss Generator connection to mains supply questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I want to use a manual change over switch to safely connect a 21kVA single phase tractor PTO powered generator to my mains supply in case of power outages. The cable run from the generator to the outside mains incoming box will be about 40 meters. I intend to use 16mm SWA for that run. The generator control box has metering, fusing and an RCD. It's modern and made entirely by Mecc Alte. Not some Ebay Chinesium device.

Once the SWA is at the outside wall box where the underground feed from the supply company exits and the meter and master switch, 100 Amp utility company fuse is located, can I delete the two pole fused master isolation switch and use the two pole 125 Amp break before make change over switch and separate fuse as both an isolation switch to the house distribution panel and as a change over switch? I see a similar question was recently covered, but it was unclear as to whether doing this was advised against or regulated against.

Space inside the wall mounted outside box is limited. The alternative is to bring tails outside the box, to another water proof cabinet with the change over switch in, and return the cables back to the utility company box. Messy...

The property, a domestic bungalow, and has a PME earth system, how should the cabling from the generator be wired with regard to earthing at either end?

Thanks.

Hopefully the N-E fault you have found is enough to explain things, though to trip a 100mA RCD you would need > 50mA and at 400 ohms that is 20V N-E which is really quite high for any sane cable voltage drop that you would plan (e.g. 5% is 11.5V and if L and N cables identical, then under 6V drop expected along N to appear N-E).

But it needs fixing anyway, so one done check and see if it has solved it.

Reply to Generator connection to mains supply questions in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back