Discuss Green Deal Providers in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Our selling point is our qms Mcs experience, the average plumber/ tradesman don't want all that hassle! I'm Very interested in becoming a provider/assessor / installer...but would us chaps be able to!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Off course you can but you will have to team up with a cavity company and maybe window company etc etc
To offer all services the green deal provides for

All offering services must have QMS which I beleive has a bit more requirement than the MCS, so the green deal is not open to everyone as most do not want to go down the QMS route so it is simply an evolution from one to the other.

as Sedgy said you will need to link up with all technologies, how you would logistically fund this between all parties I am not sure as your return is over the working life of the products.

Totally agree. It's a complete minefield which is bound to result in total confusion in the mind of the average householder. I think uptake will be very limited as most people will find it all too complicated. There will probably be opportunities for unscrupulous companies to make a quick buck by inflating prices and sending slick salesmen to tell the poor customer that it's actually free because they will be paying it back over a lengthy period through cheaper energy bills.

Yes, the government has proved itself to be pretty hopeless so far with energy policy. At least the original FiT scheme set up by Labour was understandable and workable. All they needed to do was reduce the FiT in line with falling component costs but they screwed it up by creating a bubble which burst and then panicked and ended up looking really stupid in court.

HIPS spring to mind - they didn't last 2 minutes and what did that leave us with...?...EPC's which most house buyers are not bothered about, their only use is to now make the pv market even more difficult for honest installers like us!

Until i have any confidence that the Green Deal will be here to stay, I can't afford more training/membership fees for something that could be dead 6 months later.

Rant over....for now!

The problem for installers is if the GD is able to finance PV installations. That could be a big market but would you want to be an accredited GD Installer or just a sub-contractor to one? Or a one-stop shop GD Advisor, Provider and Installer?

It's still not 100% clear that GD can finance PV (PV is on the draft list of approved GD technologies) but how that would interact with FiTs and the GD 'Golden Rule' is anything but clear or if the ECO grant would bar you from being eligible for FiTs. Nor is it clear how any conflict of interest between the 3 GD parties is going to be handled.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've yet to find anyone who isn't a training company or tofu munching eco-loon that thinks the Green Deal is a good idea. Certainly not any potential customers at least. The negatives far outweigh any positives as far as I can tell. I shall be keeping one eye on it, but, like others have said, I can't afford (and don't want) further training and fees.

Reply to Green Deal Providers in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net