Discuss Is it possible to wire two power sources to one three position switch in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Garuuu

DIY
Reaction score
I would like to know if it's possible to wire two power sources to one three position switch with six pins, this is for my foot's well lights in my car the problem I have is the original lights I have wired them to switch off when the car is running and I would like them to stay on so I was thinking if when I switch the power source over when the original source switches off I could switch it over using the switch to the other power source. is this possible?

you would need to make sure that both feeds to the switch were on the same circuit. basically you'd have the lights in common and one feed to each end of the 3 position switch

not sure how it's wired to go on when car is off - relay?

must be a relay that is N/C. when the ignition is turned on the relay energises and switches to N/O so the lights go off.

must be a relay that is N/C. when the ignition is turned on the relay energises and switches to N/O so the lights go off.
Yea but I want only the footwell light to stay on not all the interior lights,that's why I was thinking of adding the other power source

could be a problem,,, can't see how, if the footwell lights come on with interior lights, switching the footwell lights on without it feeding the interior lights also. maybe someone with more auto electrics knowledge can help. i ain't got my head round electric windows yet.

could be a problem,,, can't see how, if the footwell lights come on with interior lights, switching the footwell lights on without it feeding the interior lights also. maybe someone with more auto electrics knowledge can help. i ain't got my head round electric windows yet.
That's why I will be putting a 3 position switch pos 1 power from original footwell lights pos 2 power from something like the cigarette lighter and pos 3 is off

why would you need the footwell lights on whilst driving. is itin case you drop your phone/booze/smoke/spliff?

Reply to Is it possible to wire two power sources to one three position switch in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock