Discuss New consumer unit, builder says upgrade supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Consumer unit aside, the builder was correct those meter tails do need changing. If you contact your electricity supplier, they usually do it for free when installing smart meter or isolator switch.

How can you tell if the tails are undersized? The tail size is dictated by the dno ocpd. We do not know the size of this ocpd, the csa of the existing tails or the current handling capacity of the meter.

The only details we really know about this installation is that the central and water heating are not electric in which case the demand is likely to be way under 80A.

Friggin hell you lot, bet the OP never slept all night. You can give suitable advice, without scaring the bejesus out of people.

I thought exactly the same then paid a little more attention to the pictures.

It is rather rough and wanting a little in the compliance department.

What I can't get is, if there is a Spark and he has been on site doing the first and second fix then all the tails and routing issues could have been addressed 'off line' whilst he was doing other work. Either rank bad planning, not having a clue or both.

What's with the CU hanging off the back board?

The cables that come down from the ceiling appear to come from the middle of the ceiling. Obviously not long enough.

The entry in to the bottom.......

....Why am I bothering it an abortion and the OP should be having nightmares, if this 'on show' element is so shoddy then what demons hide out of sight?

can't be arsed giving opinion on whoever fitted the CU. this may say it for me.

So, an update. Thanks again for all the comments (even the funny ones!). Today the head builder came and we reviewed everything. The electrician stated that the job is not finished yet and also that he was told not to touch any of the existing wiring. A lot of what you see going in is existing wiring, which is 20 years old and is no doubt shocking. I am planning to rewire when I have paid off some of the loft. I pointed out some of the comments I heard here.

I also contacted UK power network who told me they are only responsible for up to the fuse. We found the incoming power feed (about 25mm thick) and the fuse in the basement, so the 10mm feed from the basement to my meter on the ground floor they tell me is my responsibility so an electrician can fix. I have send them a picture of the awful looking fuses and connectors in the basement around the main feed and asked them to comment whether anything needs replacing.

As I understand it at the moment I need UK power networks to check their bit, then get an electrician to run a new cable and sort out all of the earthing problems etc. before the meter, and possibly get the meter replaced by my power company. Finally, keep an eye on the work on the CU, get my certs and possibly get another electrician to check the work.

Hopefully I've understood everything right but that's what I've gleaned from the comments so far. Thanks all.

It is rather rough and wanting a little in the compliance department.

That’s all that needs to be said. It’s not like it’s going to be rectified by end of today.

No point in worrying people anymore than that.

The service cable, (micc) needs reworking, fuse drawn by us at origin. Steel box with pyro terminated into it, no bango reqd, brass gland, 16mmsq earth from box into earth bar. Sit 100 amp existing series 7 on top of new box. 25mmsq brown and blue from cut out and meter from meter guys. Full test on con's wiring, and remedial.

The service cable, (micc) needs reworking, fuse drawn by us at origin. Steel box with pyro terminated into it, no bango reqd, brass gland, 16mmsq earth from box into earth bar. Sit 100 amp existing series 7 on top of new box. 25mmsq brown and blue from cut out and meter from meter guys. Full test on con's wiring, and remedial.

Those are very bold statements and assumptions based on looking at a photo ......

Interesting comment without being able to see under the cover!

From what I've seen they have 100A RCDs other than I have no idea.

Not sure how a 17th unpopulated board differs from an 18th unpopulated board.

I've no idea how you can tell from that picture...

Awaiting enlightenment also....

I'm sure I read somewhere that the lid had to be hinged from the top, as in self closing, to comply with the regs pertaining to the containment of fire. Come to think of it, that info may have been getting banded about around amendment 3 time.

I also thought that.
My conclusion; I think we have found the sparky that done the job :)

Can't say it'd be worth my while to travel to the other end of the country to throw that on the wall.

Reply to New consumer unit, builder says upgrade supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock