Discuss New consumer unit, builder says upgrade supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

As part of a loft conversion to my 2 (now 3) floor flat in a Victorian Terraced house I have added about a dozen 2-gang sockets, a shaving socket, and about 16 downlights to my new floor, plus swapping four pendant lights for 16 downlights in the floor below.

An electrician was installing a new consumer unit today and then I got a call from the head builder who is not onsite. He told me the electrician is concerned that the main service feed coming into the fuse/meter is only 10mm across. The electrician has apparently wired and tested everything (even though he's left the ground floor lights not working) but says we can't turn on the power in the loft as he is not confident the consumer unit will not burn out or the RCDs will be constantly tripping as the mains service cable is too thin.

The head builder told me I will probably have to upgrade my supply. He started advising me to call The National Grid (I think he means UK power networks).

I checked the main feed wire and by my measurements it looks around 12mm across. My builder was saying it should be more like 35 mm across and they'd never seen this before.

I apologise for the lack of detail but that's literally all the information I have aside from two photos of the set-up which are attached.

The reason I am posting is this all seems very light on detail. For instance I would expect a bit more calculation and maybe some figures to justify why we need to shell out many thousands potentially to upgrade the supply. The same amount of people will be living in the house, there are just likely to be a few more lights on and maybe an extra device plugged in.

Could anyone offer any advice about this? Should I just accept it, should I ask UK Power Networks about it, or should I be asking for more detail about how he came to this conclusion (and if so, what?)? Do the photos suggest what we have is obviously wrong? Any pointers would be much appreciated

cheers,
Pariah66

New consumer unit, builder says upgrade supply 20190523_200455 - EletriciansForums.net

New consumer unit, builder says upgrade supply 20190523_204630 - EletriciansForums.net

I have never ever came across a house or flat fed by a 35mm cable it's unheard of. 10 or 16mm is usually correct if in a flat maybe 25 if a house sometimes. Ask him for his calculations as realistically unless you have electric heating or showers there shouldn't be an issue. Do you have electric heating or shower(s)?

I have never ever came across a house or flat fed by a 35mm cable it's unheard of. 10 or 16mm is usually correct if in a flat maybe 25 if a house sometimes. Ask him for his calculations as realistically unless you have electric heating or showers there shouldn't be an issue. Do you have electric heating or shower(s)?

Who installed the consumer unit?
You do need to get the incoming set up sorted out though.
That pyro needs to be glanded into a proper enclosure and then the tails need to be upgraded.
The dno will possibly insist on the pyro being replaced.

From your picture you have several issues which need addressing and an experienced, qualified electrician would have addressed these prior to starting the works. The picture of the consumer unit clearly indicates your so called electrician has limited skills and debatable qualifications.

Thanks everyone. The electrician just installed the consumer unit. The rest has always been like it.

Am I right that there are two issues here?

1. The pyro (what is this?) needs to be glanded, earthed and tails need to be upgraded. Who would do this, the electrician, the DNO or the electricity supplier?

2. The cables going into the consumer unit need compression glands.

In addition, so far, no-one has seen anything here which suggests I need to upgrade the feed, does anyone know what questions I should be asking this electrician or what calculations I should ask him for?

I'll provide a photo of the top of the CU in the morning as I have no lights downstairs at the moment.

An electrician has not installed that consumer unit and as in #15 I would be seriously concerned about other works they have carried out.

Reply to New consumer unit, builder says upgrade supply in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock