Discuss No Water bond in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Installed a cooker circuit on a fairly new house, found a 16 mm main earth and 10mm bond to Gas pipe. No water bond, there is a blue plastic water pipe entering house to stop cock and then copper pipe, lots of internal plastic pipe. Boiler has copper pipe with no cross bonding. The consumer unit is Wylex split board with dual 30ma mobs. Should I upgrade earthing or is this install OK due to the water pipe is not an extraneous conductive part?

Last edited by a moderator:
As the water has an insulating section where it enters the property then there's no requirement to bond.

Any copper pipework that's connected to the boiler will have continuity via the manifold and should be earthed via the boiler CPC.

Test to see if extraneous if you're not 100%.

As the water has an insulating section where it enters the property then there's no requirement to bond.

Any copper pipework that's connected to the boiler will have continuity via the manifold and should be earthed via the boiler CPC.

Test to see if extraneous if you're not 100%.

can the same be said for the gas then as most of it these days is mdpe?

Installed a cooker circuit on a fairly new house, found a 16 mm main earth and 10mm bond to Gas pipe. No water bond, there is a blue plastic water pipe entering house to stop cock and then copper pipe, lots of internal plastic pipe. Boiler has copper pipe with no cross bonding. The consumer unit is Wylex split board with dual 30ma mobs. Should I upgrade earthing or is this install OK due to the water pipe is not an extraneous conductive part?
Have a look at 411.3.1.2. This regulation suggests it does not need to be bonded.
I struggle with the idea of testing to see if extraneous as it's going to be connected to the main earth somewhere throughout the route in the house and therefore the test will not be accurate.

Have a look at 411.3.1.2. This regulation suggests it does not need to be bonded.
I struggle with the idea of testing to see if extraneous as it's going to be connected to the main earth somewhere throughout the route in the house and therefore the test will not be accurate.

The test is carried out between the means of earthing and the possible extraneous conductive part with the installation isolated and the earthing conductor disconnected.
So all protective conductors will be excluded from the test.

As far as gas installers are concerned, the bonding to the gas pipe is in case it becomes live!
They are clueless as to why we do or do not need to provide protective bonding to their extraneous or nowadays non extraneous pipework

Many moons ago I witnessed a corgi gas guy put a bonding clamp on the yellow gas pipe in the gas cupboard...
At least he could say the gas was bonded

I had one unhappy customer, who was having a gas meter replaced, and the gas guy refused to install the new one, until the gas bonding had been rectified. He said if he came back, and the work had not been carried out, he would have to disconnect their supply. It worried the elderly couple greatly.

The problem; external meter box, copper gas pipe into garage through wall. Then up to ceiling level where it was bonded, about 2 metres from point of entry. Gas bloke said bonding must be in meter box.

So I obliged him, and bonded at point of entry in garage. Gave couple a MW quoting 544.1.2 (BYB), and if he had an issue, to give me a call and I'd pop round for chat.

within 600mm of point of entry into building, that may be inside ( before any branch ) or outside (in gas meter box ). either is compliant.

Many moons ago I witnessed a corgi gas guy put a bonding clamp on the yellow gas pipe in the gas cupboard...
At least he could say the gas was bonded
I went to a reconnection job a couple of years ago where someone had looped main bonding across multiple plastic pipes in the hot press all with BS951 clamps on them. I even took a photo at the time. Words failed me.

within 600mm of point of entry into building, that may be inside ( before any branch ) or outside (in gas meter box ). either is compliant.

Yep, but doesn’t HAVE to be in the meter box, as this bod was insisting, or he’d cut them off.

Reply to No Water bond in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock