Currently reading:
Please review my electrician's work

Discuss Please review my electrician's work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

laike

Hi guys, could you please take a moment to review the electrician's work on my flat and leave a comment as to its quality.

Switches and sockets were placed in various strange positions without my agreement. He has moved them where required but they're still not 100% and are not centered and measured properly on the walls.

We had agreed that all wires would be chased into the brickwork inside plastic conduit. I am disappointed to see so much raw cable buried within the plaster without conduit.

Thanks for your input,

Refurb - Upload the image directly to the thread

of course they can - all depends on the wording of the freehold agreement doesn't it, so it's contract law and nothing to do with part p.

The clue as to their legal rights and responsibility is FREEHOLDER but I do believe this is not the correct term because the OP does not own the property and is thus a LEASEHOLDER and as such the ownership of the property has not changed hands and you have simply leased the property for a stated period of time, such as 99 years. The law on this quite tight and the Council, as the Freeholder, has certain legal rights, but they have no right to dictate to leaseholders who can and cannot work in their home as long as the work is not structural and the works are completed by a competent person (Part P compliant or Gas Safe registered), however they have no legal right to state that you cannot have a person undertake the work if that work will be assessed as to competency, in fact common sense says this should be more acceptable because the work will be independently inspected and thus should be 100% compliant and even safer than other installations...

By the way, I have family who are leaseholders in Hackney and Waltham Forest so I know what the council's legally can and cannot do, the problem is most leaseholders do not and so the council bully them into their understanding of the regulations..

the best thing to do for the OP is to hire the electrician he feels he trusts the most regardless of whether that electrician is in a scheme or not , and then pay the council to carry out their own independant inspection & notification at the end of the job.

the freedom to comply in such a way is all laid out in part p law , the council cannot stipulate anything different.
if they do contest it with a few facts from your citizens advice bureau , you'll find that most local authorities lack the will or the money to fight someone who knows their rights.

the fired electrician showed up at the flat and is being intimidating and says he wants his cables back. He's parked outside waiting for me. I've called the cops, just waiting for them to arrive...

called the cops. You guys should have seen him when he caught the new electrician there with me this morning - it was like he caught someone sleeping with his wife. He gave us a stare down from hell.

no, still waiting. I guess they don't think 'an electrician being intimidating' is a priority issue. I was bricking it though!

the fired builder turned up and collected the oval conduit and a roll of bonding wire and is trying to pacify things. Hopefully the spark will leave as he's parked out front!

no, still waiting. I guess they don't think 'an electrician being intimidating' is a priority issue. I was bricking it though!

the fired builder turned up and collected the oval conduit and a roll of bonding wire and is trying to pacify things. Hopefully the spark will leave as he's parked out front!

You should have told plod there was a little girl playing hopscotch outside your door and damaging the pavement with her chalk.

They would have been there - Tasers drawn - faster than greased lightning !!

IMAG0339.jpg
installation methods of cables
Safe zones for electric cables - DIYWiki
safe zones

and then RCDs
Cables in a wall or partition

A cable concealed in a wall or partition must
a) be at least 50mm from the surface [note 1]
b) have earthed armouring or an earthed metal sheath (eg SWA, a BS 8436 cable or MICC cable)
c) be enclosed in earthed steel conduit or trunking
d) be provided with mechanical protection (3mm steel is deemed sufficient to meet this requirement)
OR
e) be installed in a safe zone .
The 17th edition also requires cables in the safe zone to have 30mA RCD protection if not installed as per a, b, c or d.
Note 1 - If the wall or partition is made from or partially made from metal then the cable will require RCD protection or be installed as b), c) or d) above

and at the end
All the "competent" forum sparks.
Read the books. Find the regulation. Then u can make a comment in the forum
Or maybe you will find u a job and leave the forum

Jesus christ he attacked you! Hope you are okay mate, just read the whole thread. What a polava!

The police probably wont bother turning up but you should always ring them so the event gets logged.

Did he attack you after you posted he was sat outside waiting for you in his van?

Jesus christ he attacked you! Hope you are okay mate, just read the whole thread. What a polava!

The police probably wont bother turning up but you should always ring them so the event gets logged.

Did he attack you after you posted he was sat outside waiting for you in his van?

If he attacked you AFTER you requested the police to attend, maybe you have grounds for complaint against them.

The compo may pay for your re-wire ......... ;)

If he attacked you AFTER you requested the police to attend, maybe you have grounds for complaint against them.

The compo may pay for your re-wire ......... ;)

obviously, this "electrician" is a southerner. the OP is still able to post.

I bet after hearing what the OP has just told us that you all are double checking your posts you wrote and watching the news tonight ...... tight bottom time :shocked: can see it now the police interview..... well i went on this forum and!!!!

Reply to Please review my electrician's work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock