Currently reading:
plug socket under sink?

Discuss plug socket under sink? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hello. looking for some advice on a trailing socket that is under my sink. its for the dishwasher but is not fixed or sealed. its just a wire going to a box with the plug in it. is this allowed as I thought that sockets must be 450 from the floor? regards

socket should be mountec on the wall, or at worst on the kitchen base unit. preferably situated where it's not likely to get wet. the 450mm height is only applicable to new builds to make it easier for disabled persons to reach.

bad idea. the bags have had their IP integrity compromised with holes to stop sprogs suffocating. HSE would rather that they be electrocuted.

Last edited:
bad idea. the bags have had their IP integrity compromised with holes to stop sprogs suffocating. HSE would rather that they be electocuted.
well...in that case:
Flora tub1.JPG

There's a reg in the wiring regs somewhere that says there should be no appreciable strain on connections - you can't guarantee that if the socket is not fixed to anything. Twin and earth cable is not meant to be continually flexed - the conductors may eventually break if it is. There were a couple of these floating sockets where I live until I fixed them and the sheathing was starting to wear away where the cable entered the socket because it was rubbing on the sharp bit around the cable entry position. There's also a reg that says things should be appropriate for the environment - a standard non-IP rated socket is not suitable for anywhere water is likely to be found.

I'd fit a socket in the adjacent cupboard and route the appliance flex into that in such a way that water dripping onto the flex will run to a low point away from the plug and socket and away from the appliance. Ideally I'd also wire the socket through a fused connection unit or 20A DP switch above the work surface so you don't have to empty the cupboard if you need to isolate the appliance in a hurry.

hello. looking for some advice on a trailing socket that is under my sink. its for the dishwasher but is not fixed or sealed. its just a wire going to a box with the plug in it. is this allowed as I thought that sockets must be 450 from the floor? regards

ok ok , we ve had our fun lol.

theres no problem with a socket or extension under the sink so you can now go safely about your business.
:)

Sorry for the late reply, yes it has my washing machine plugged into it, and the plastic bag is there to protect it from any leaks after we had a nasty leak in the U bend one day. I have been meaning to move this socket for around 6 months, i just haven't got around to it.

Agree with post #19 - the socket is unsupported and has no strain relief. Everytime the socket moves there is pressure on the terminations and they will become loose - they're probably already loose by now. The socket back box needs fitting to the wall and the cable needs to be clipped. Unless I'm reading this wrong - this isn't a proper 'trailing socket' is it?, ie an extension cable type? Daz

Reply to plug socket under sink? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock