Discuss dishwasher connection from hardwired to gfci in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rkinross

DIY
Reaction score
Wiring to new dishwasher causes garbage disposal to stop working.

I just installed a GE dishwasher and came across a problem with the current wiring. I replaced a Maytag dishwasher that was hardwired to the romex comming out of the wall. The video to install a dishwasher shows how to attach the black, white, and bare wire but my installation had a red wire attached to the black wire comming from the wall. I decided the red wire was not necessary so I put a wire nut on it to cap it off. The GE dishwasher works fine but for some unknown reason the garbage disposal quit working. The garbage disposal has its own receptical under the sink and there is no apparant connection to the dishwasher that I can see. Could it be possible that the garbage disposal is getting its power from the red wire that I did not connect? If this is true the link to the disposal must be happening at the fuse box in the basement. Does anyone have any input on this and is this a common technique? During the installation I upgraded the hardwire connection to a cord and plug to use with a new GFCI. The Home Depot guys I talked to could not explain why the red wire was there. I also used Wago connectors instead of wire nuts. The Wago have 2 ports on each Wago. Should I buy a 3 port Wago to accommodate the red wire. Will this modification cause problems for the GFCI detecting an unbalanced load? I thought I would post it here to get some advice. Thanks for any help you can offer.

TL;DR
Problems with new dishwasher connection
Wiring to new dishwasher causes garbage disposal to stop working.

I just installed a GE dishwasher and came across a problem with the current wiring. I replaced a Maytag dishwasher that was hardwired to the romex comming out of the wall. The video to install a dishwasher shows how to attach the black, white, and bare wire but my installation had a red wire attached to the black wire comming from the wall. I decided the red wire was not necessary so I put a wire nut on it to cap it off. The GE dishwasher works fine but for some unknown reason the garbage disposal quit working. The garbage disposal has its own receptical under the sink and there is no apparant connection to the dishwasher that I can see. Could it be possible that the garbage disposal is getting its power from the red wire that I did not connect? If this is true the link to the disposal must be happening at the fuse box in the basement. Does anyone have any input on this and is this a common technique? During the installation I upgraded the hardwire connection to a cord and plug to use with a new GFCI. The Home Depot guys I talked to could not explain why the red wire was there. I also used Wago connectors instead of wire nuts. The Wago have 2 ports on each Wago. Should I buy a 3 port Wago to accommodate the red wire. Will this modification cause problems for the GFCI detecting an unbalanced load? I thought I would post it here to get some advice. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Sorry for the late reply but if you don’t have it working garbage disposals are supposed to have their own circuit but I don’t know how old your home is but it’s very possible that the fed wire is the live feeding the garbage disposal. Good luck and welcome to the forum

Reply to dishwasher connection from hardwired to gfci in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net