Discuss Do Regs allow power socket in an enclosed bathroom vanity unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

rocksolid

DIY
Reaction score
I have a socket in by bathroom vanity unit, .75m away from the edge of the bath. The vanity is completely enclosed with a sink on top and doors that, when open, are parallel to the length of the bath.

I hired an electrician to do some work and once he saw the plug in the bathroom, he informed me that he would blank it off, because it is "against the regs." I told him that it's not, because it's in a cabinet. He said, that doesn't matter, it's within 3m of the bath and isn't allowed.

The electrician sent me an "unsatisfactory" EICR due to the socket remaining in the bathroom.

Is the socket allowed in there? Isn't the interior of the vanity unit a separate "location" according to the regs?

What are my options regarding the unsatisfactory EICR?

Keeping opinion to one side, your electrician is both right and wrong. Outside of zones, which would be 0.6m from the edge of the bath, certain accessories are permitted. While other accessories and SELV socket outlets are permitted outside of zones, mains voltage socket outlets are not permitted within 2.5m of the boundary of zone 1 (edge of the bath).

The wiring regulations make provision for permanent fixed partitions, but those provisions only affect boundary of zone 2.

No zone exists around basins, but equally no provision is made for vanity units and your basin falls within 2.5m of zone 1 boundary.

As such he incorrectly quoted distances, but would be correct in stating that the outlet shouldn't be where it is.

Keeping opinion to one side, your electrician is both right and wrong. Outside of zones, which would be 0.6m from the edge of the bath, certain accessories are permitted. While other accessories and SELV socket outlets are permitted outside of zones, mains voltage socket outlets are not permitted within 2.5m of the boundary of zone 1 (edge of the bath).

The wiring regulations make provision for permanent fixed partitions, but those provisions only affect boundary of zone 2.
Could you point out where in the regs it says that the provisions for fixed partitions only apply to zone 2? 701 .32.1 says:

"Horizontal or inclined ceilings, walls with or without windows, doors, floors and fixed partitions may be taken into account where these effectively limit the extent of locations containing a bath or shower as well as their zones." I see that Fig 701 .1 shows zone 2 being limited by permanent fixed positions, but those are only examples.
No zone exists around basins, but equally no provision is made for vanity units and your basin falls within 2.5m of zone 1 boundary.

As such he incorrectly quoted distances, but would be correct in stating that the outlet shouldn't be where it is.
Yes, the basin/vanity is out of zones (>.6m from edge of bath) and as of the 2022 amendment to the regs, the distance sockets are allowed decreased from 3m to 2.5m. Although vanity units/cupboards/cabinets and similar are not mentioned specifically, they are comprised of fixed partitions and doors which limit the extent of the location containing a bath. If walls, doors and fixed partitions limit the extent of a location containing a bath, why are only some treated as limiting and not others?

Could you point out where in the regs it says that the provisions for fixed partitions only apply to zone 2? 701 .32.1 says:

Nowhere. Those are my words as, rather than typing out lengthy passage, it seemed prudent to paraphrase.

"Horizontal or inclined ceilings, walls with or without windows, doors, floors and fixed partitions may be taken into account where these effectively limit the extent of locations containing a bath or shower as well as their zones." I see that Fig 701 .1 shows zone 2 being limited by permanent fixed positions, but those are only examples.

Here you seem to understand the point I was making about fixed partitions affecting the boundary of zone 2. Zone 0 remains unchanged, zone 1 remains unchanged and outside zones is just that. I'm not sure how this could be made clearer.

Yes, the basin/vanity is out of zones (>.6m from edge of bath) and as of the 2022 amendment to the regs, the distance sockets are allowed decreased from 3m to 2.5m. Although vanity units/cupboards/cabinets and similar are not mentioned specifically, they are comprised of fixed partitions and doors which limit the extent of the location containing a bath. If walls, doors and fixed partitions limit the extent of a location containing a bath, why are only some treated as limiting and not others?

Specific mention is made of airing cupboards and the door through which one enters and exits the room. I'm fairly certain that the IET members who draft wiring regulations will be aware of the existence of vanity units, but for reasons known only to themselves have not seen fit to classify these in the same category as an airing cupboard or bathroom door.

Using my google-fu, I also came across these two forums, which describe the same situation - socket in the bathroom, enclosed by partitions via airing cupboard/cabinet. There are at least 4 people saying that this is ok and is a "no code" situation.

Power socket in bathroom

Socket in airing cupboard

Four people said this was okay. Who were these four people and what qualified their opinion? How many others were of a different opinion?

You asked a question and I answered it. I'm sorry if the answers weren't to your liking, but such is life. The electrician you contracted to carry out the EICR has inspected the property and reported on it as they saw fit. I very much doubt you're going to sway their opinion, so the options are accept their opinions or have someone else carry out another report and hope they see this matter from a different perspective.

There are different means of achieving the same ends and having a socket under a bathroom washbasin doesn't seem to me to be a hill worth dying on.

Could you point out where in the regs it says that the provisions for fixed partitions only apply to zone 2?

Somewhere towards the beginning of the regulations are the requirements to use good workmanship, proper materials, good engineering judgement etc etc.

Basically it boils down to common sense, electricity is dangerous, electricity mixed with water is very dangerous, don't create a situation where they could end up mixed.

Nowhere. Those are my words as, rather than typing out lengthy passage, it seemed prudent to paraphrase.

Here you seem to understand the point I was making about fixed partitions affecting the boundary of zone 2. Zone 0 remains unchanged, zone 1 remains unchanged and outside zones is just that. I'm not sure how this could be made clearer.

Specific mention is made of airing cupboards and the door through which one enters and exits the room. I'm fairly certain that the IET members who draft wiring regulations will be aware of the existence of vanity units, but for reasons known only to themselves have not seen fit to classify these in the same category as an airing cupboard or bathroom door.

Four people said this was okay. Who were these four people and what qualified their opinion? How many others were of a different opinion?

You asked a question and I answered it. I'm sorry if the answers weren't to your liking, but such is life. The electrician you contracted to carry out the EICR has inspected the property and reported on it as they saw fit. I very much doubt you're going to sway their opinion, so the options are accept their opinions or have someone else carry out another report and hope they see this matter from a different perspective.

There are different means of achieving the same ends and having a socket under a bathroom washbasin doesn't seem to me to be a hill worth dying on.

Thank you for your contribution.

Somewhere towards the beginning of the regulations are the requirements to use good workmanship, proper materials, good engineering judgement etc etc.

Basically it boils down to common sense, electricity is dangerous, electricity mixed with water is very dangerous, don't create a situation where they could end up mixed.
Thanks, I think you've helped me solve one mystery. The regs seem to be there, but there is a lot that is open to interpretation, such that one person might find an action to be acceptable, whereas another would find in unacceptable. That would explain why the original socket installer decided a socket in the vanity was ok, while the second electrician did not.

There is some variation in interpretation to be sure. But this where it is vital to try to determine and follow the intent of the regulation(s) in any given situation.
The intent behind not allowing a socket outlet to be closer to the edge of the zone than 2.5m is so that a person who is unclothed and possibly wet cannot plug in an appliance and hold it and use it in the zone, taking into account the length of the appliance cord, due to the greatly increased risk of a fatal shock.
Having a socket in a vanity unit which is less than the required 2.5m from the zone would not follow that intent, as a person could plug in a hand held appliance and use it in the zone. Whereas the use of a connection unit instead of a socket would only allow the one specific item of fixed (not hand held) equipment to be powered.

hired an electrician to do some work and once he saw the plug in the bathroom, he informed me that he would blank it off, because it is "against the regs." I told him that it's not, because it's in a cabinet. He said, that doesn't matter, it's within 3m of the bath and isn't allowed.
The electrician sent me an "unsatisfactory" EICR due to the socket remaining in the bathroom.

What work did you hire the electrician to do?

Change the socket to a IP rated switched fused connection unit, job done

You could also padlock it closed as there is a padlock hole in the front

217092_41.jpg

There is some variation in interpretation to be sure. But this where it is vital to try to determine and follow the intent of the regulation(s) in any given situation.
The intent behind not allowing a socket outlet to be closer to the edge of the zone than 2.5m is so that a person who is unclothed and possibly wet cannot plug in an appliance and hold it and use it in the zone, taking into account the length of the appliance cord, due to the greatly increased risk of a fatal shock.
Having a socket in a vanity unit which is less than the required 2.5m from the zone would not follow that intent, as a person could plug in a hand held appliance and use it in the zone. Whereas the use of a connection unit instead of a socket would only allow the one specific item of fixed (not hand held) equipment to be powered.
Thank you, that's very helpful. I was only looking at the wording of regulations, which, along with what Electrician #1 told me, led me to believe that the socket was ok in the vanity. If the intent is as you say, then I understand how one would conclude that it is not.

On day one, the electricians tested the house wiring and brought new wiring into the kitchen. On day two, they changed the old fusebox for a new RCD protected consumer unit.

I was asking what you hired them to do, not what they actually did.

Your post read as thought they were working in your house, saw this socket and then issued an EICR without you having asked for an EICR.

Did you actually hire them to carry out an EICR?

I was asking what you hired them to do, not what they actually did.

Your post read as thought they were working in your house, saw this socket and then issued an EICR without you having asked for an EICR.

Did you actually hire them to carry out an EICR?

Thanks for the clarification, and what I stated they did, is what we hired them to do. We did not ask them to carry out an EICR. But we did hire them to test the wiring in the house for any issues, as it is an old Victorian house and the wiring was put in long ago. I was not happy that they went through my bathroom cabinets without asking, because I have personal items in there and would have, at the very least, removed them if they needed to check inside.

I'll need to check if it is on the quote he gave us, because we really don't need an EICR anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, and what I stated they did, is what we hired them to do. We did not ask them to carry out an EICR. But we did hire them to test the wiring in the house for any issues, as it is an old Victorian house and the wiring was put in long ago. I was not happy that they went through my bathroom cabinets without asking, because I have personal items in there and would have, at the very least, removed them if they needed to check inside.

I'll need to check if it is on the quote he gave us, because we really don't need an EICR anyway.
Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).
they have provided what you asked for.

Reply to Do Regs allow power socket in an enclosed bathroom vanity unit? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net