Currently reading:
Pros and cons of screwfix

Discuss Pros and cons of screwfix in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

piggyitm

Recently,I had a customer that said to me" if you can get the materials cheaper than I can get myself at screw fix,go ahead!" for 6 bathroom spots and a shower install
I said they would have to incur my premium charge of £17 PH if they supplied their own materials.
After agreeing,but then after a survey, I found their was no bonding(not even main) and advised upon a 17th board with 10mm bonding.They bought the board for £100 from screwfix and I had a shag end of 10mm in the shed.
The total bill for the job in hours was £255.00 with admin for cert.They got a mains change at the price of 3 hours labour.Some of you guys charge £350 just for the CU
I know i'm shorting myself but without dragging your heels and if the guys got the catologue what do you do??
I might be better with a job on the bins!

I find problem at moment is all the mybuilder and myhammer stuff around at moment
I priced a Rewire up other day and then the lady advertised it on one of these web sites and called me back saying can get it done for £1150
Three bed house with chrome switches and 12 down lights and a alarm
Must be a cowboy getting all gear from screwfix

suppose if your working for someone and it`s done on a weekend with someone elses stuff it`s five and a half each for a couple of days work, usually not worth the hassle when they want it doing cheap mate, i have had one before that we did for a friend of a friend, what a nightmare, never again the cheaper the job the more hassle. learnt that very early on thankfully so not had too many like it

screwfix gets bad press, they do sell some good stuff at a premium price though. like a volex split load db at 50 quidish, then a crabtree or mk for 100 quidish...so what is the customer likely to think, they have no clue about 'names' unless they know you or of you, they don't give a ****.

When you get into the top end stuff (none volex) , your local wholeseller can compete, trying to explain to customers is the hard bit

Last edited by a moderator:
dont feel bad about marking up

everyone does it and you are providing a service

I would imagine you pay the £ 60 per hour the garage charges you come MOT time dont ya!!!

we are sparks and are top of the tree;)

I couldn't have put it better, we are well trained at considerable expense, have legal responsibilities long after the cheque has cleared and we take a hit from the DIYers in conjunction with B&Q, Screwfix etc.
Make no apology for charging out at a fair price with decent markup on materials and labour!

Reply to Pros and cons of screwfix in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock