Discuss Pros and cons of screwfix in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

These all sound like good,yet reflexed responses What are the real counter measures. If the customers have catalogues as arms and the ungratefull,out of habit,who counter all final bills quoting so called whole sale prices,do you walk away?

On the side,my missus has just accused me of not really wanting to work for my self because I won't drop my prices to guarantee the work.Obviously she is envious of the sparks potential to earn,but also becomes annoyingly aware if i've over priced a job according by her own wages.She comes from a council house background and can't help her self but to drag me down to council estate prices?I try not to discriminate between customers but does anyone else look them up and down and make an instant judgment as to how much to charge? Cheers

if you come accross a customer with catalogues as arms then in your price just put what you normaly charge for materials witha mark up, if they question it then just say these are my prices for supplying the materials, this is what im charging, if you want to supply then go ahead , also make sure you only give estimates for the work
when inevitably the customer gets the wrong matirials 1 way switches instead of 2, not enough cable, generally no screws or plugs,extractor fans without the ducting, LV lights without the transformers or jb's, no brown sleeving ( I could go on ) so you keep sending them out on errands as you need the stuff straight away
generally after 3rd trip they cant be bothered and send you for the rest
so you mark these up more than you would have normaly, and the wasted time you spend at the house waiting for stuff goes on the final bill as hours spent on the job
either way you make your money mate, I prefer labour only as there is NO responsibility to reapir the stuff or replace it without charge :)

all depends on the job mate. i have never been to extortionate. i usually see what i can get the bits for through the discount the wholesalers give me and then i mark up to the big orange prices. if there is no mark up i have just put the labour onto the bill for the running around.

I normally get my price from the wholesalers then mark up to £1 less than the big orange prices this way with Screwfix and the good old orange "consumer diy" store prices the customer is still getting a better price from me and getting better quality stock

I also advise any supplied CU or cable will not be fitted as I cannot guarantee where it came from and as such I refuse to put my name to an EIC and sign it to say safe. However sockets & switches if the customer wants to pay me my minimum hourly rate and buy their own socket or switch I am happy for that as it would probably be more expensive for the customer that way anyway.

?I try not to discriminate between customers but does anyone else look them up and down and make an instant judgment as to how much to charge? Cheers

No, They pay my rates or I will walk away, if they want an electrician pay for it, if they want a cowboy for cheapness, good luck looking!

If when confronted with the screwfix prices I say no problem to that, then go to the electricfix counter and get it cheaper as its near to home anyway.

No, They pay my rates or I will walk away, if they want an electrician pay for it, if they want a cowboy for cheapness, good luck looking!

If when confronted with the screwfix prices I say no problem to that, then go to the electricfix counter and get it cheaper as its near to home anyway.
dont find electricfix prices that much cheaper, couple of quid at best

screwfix always seem to be doing a complete 10 way wylex board for £79.99 inc vat, (same price in electricfix) now thats not bad value in my book

dont find electricfix prices that much cheaper, couple of quid at best

screwfix always seem to be doing a complete 10 way wylex board for £79.99 inc vat, (same price in electricfix) now thats not bad value in my book

Plain old B&Q had a fully loaded 10 way dual RCD for £56 a couple of weeks ago :eek:

My local electricfix counter are good at matching or beating prices if for a decent order, but what they dont ever have in stock is 20mm white conduit singles or bulk, but sell all the accessories:rolleyes:

I had a customer who wanted some small works done plus PIR lighting put up He said a scored a bit by getting the PIR lights himself. Two weeks later got a phone call me thinks one of the PIR lights you put up is not working. I said me thinks you better take it back to the supplier as the contract is between you and them I only fitted it and if you want me to swap it over I will send you a quote. Mmmmmmmm stillwaiting for the phone call

i have an electricfix catalogue, some of the stuff is cheaper but for example the wylex board, its 79.99 in both electricfix and screwfix BUT with screwfix i always have an email with a voucher code for 10% off or other offers so seems you cant win!!

i have an electricfix catalogue, some of the stuff is cheaper but for example the wylex board, its 79.99 in both electricfix and screwfix BUT with screwfix i always have an email with a voucher code for 10% off or other offers so seems you cant win!!
thats exactly what i mean, im an electrifix member but 9 times out of 10 use screwfix instead as they have better offers :confused:

Electrifix say they will match any screwfix deal as its all on the same computer.Anyhow......Thanks for the replies,I have since concluded that i'm not as scottish as I could be! :)

I find problem at moment is all the mybuilder and myhammer stuff around at moment
I priced a Rewire up other day and then the lady advertised it on one of these web sites and called me back saying can get it done for £1150
Three bed house with chrome switches and 12 down lights and a alarm
Must be a cowboy getting all gear from screwfix

suppose if your working for someone and it`s done on a weekend with someone elses stuff it`s five and a half each for a couple of days work, usually not worth the hassle when they want it doing cheap mate, i have had one before that we did for a friend of a friend, what a nightmare, never again the cheaper the job the more hassle. learnt that very early on thankfully so not had too many like it

screwfix gets bad press, they do sell some good stuff at a premium price though. like a volex split load db at 50 quidish, then a crabtree or mk for 100 quidish...so what is the customer likely to think, they have no clue about 'names' unless they know you or of you, they don't give a ****.

When you get into the top end stuff (none volex) , your local wholeseller can compete, trying to explain to customers is the hard bit

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Pros and cons of screwfix in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net