Discuss Proximity of ditra heat thermostat to tub in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

jheyerman

DIY
Reaction score
I am nearing completion of my bathroom which included installation of ditra heat. The bathroom is quite small and the thermostat (a touch screen version - Schluter®-DITRA-HEAT-E-RT | Floor Warming | schluter.com - https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Floor-Warming/Schluter%C2%AE-DITRA-HEAT-E-RT/p/DITRA_HEAT-E-RT) is located on the same wall as the long side of the alcove tub approx 13" away from the start of the tub. In the rough-in inspection, the inspector had no issue with the location. I had always planned to install a piece of glass at the tub giving me the ~39" of separation. However I am not going to get that done before the permit expires. The rule 62-130 is that a '"manually operated control for a heating deevice" may not be placed within 1 m from a sink... etc'. So my question is, is the ditra controller a "manually operated control"? The screen unit of the control attaches to the relay device that is located in the electrical box and a four in contact connector passes only low voltage to the screen. Therefore I do not see the risk since a person in the bath cannot interact with high voltage. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jeff

Thanks,
Jeff

I am nearing completion of my bathroom which included installation of ditra heat. The bathroom is quite small and the thermostat (a touch screen version - Schluter®-DITRA-HEAT-E-RT | Floor Warming | schluter.com - https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/Floor-Warming/Schluter%C2%AE-DITRA-HEAT-E-RT/p/DITRA_HEAT-E-RT) is located on the same wall as the long side of the alcove tub approx 13" away from the start of the tub. In the rough-in inspection, the inspector had no issue with the location. I had always planned to install a piece of glass at the tub giving me the ~39" of separation. However I am not going to get that done before the permit expires. The rule 62-130 is that a '"manually operated control for a heating deevice" may not be placed within 1 m from a sink... etc'. So my question is, is the ditra controller a "manually operated control"? The screen unit of the control attaches to the relay device that is located in the electrical box and a four in contact connector passes only low voltage to the screen. Therefore I do not see the risk since a person in the bath cannot interact with high voltage. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Jeff

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff I don’t care what it is give the inspector what the inspector ask for. I’m assuming you have talked and some of them will work with you and some won’t good luck

Reply to Proximity of ditra heat thermostat to tub in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net