Currently reading:
Pyro Meter Tails!

Discuss Pyro Meter Tails! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

:willy_nilly: Domestic client called me to quote for some sockets and a CU change. Stunned to see the meter connected to the existing fuse box by 2 core pyro using the bare sheath as the earth conductor. Was this common practice in the 70s and did it comply back then or even now?

The supply is 60 Amp, the Fusebox is some 4 metres from the meter. The termination of the cable is enclosed at the fusebox end but not in the cutout/meter box where the two single insulated tails connect directly into the meter. The cable diameter (bare) is 13.39 mm. Can't seem to find this in my tables to check the rating.

Is there anyway I can reuse the pyro, as replacing it will be a nightmare! Because of the distance, I'm thinking of installing a 60A switch fuse in the meter box and try to get the cut-out upgraded to 80 Amps (minor point of compliance).

Cheers
Pete

There's already a perfectly good bit of MICC there, why would he want to install inferior cable to replace it??
i only read latest couple and confused myself so edited it when i realised my mistake.

the only reason i was going to mention swa was because of the rcd requirement for new installs less than 50mm in the wall and not mechanically protected etc.

micc doesnt need to be because the outer shieth is the earth

Oh dear, a 100Amp main switch is just that, a switch, it does not include any form of OCPD.

An OCPD is required to make this cable in to a submain due to the distance, ideally an HRC fuse rather than an mcb to give it some hope of discriminating.

Reply to Pyro Meter Tails! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock