Discuss Running meter tails outside in trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope you’re all doing well.
Got a job starting next week for a rewire of a studio flat, currently they have 10 mm T&E as metre tails , So definitely got to be an upgrade.
The existing meter box is situated outside ( under cover ) the bathroom wall , On the right hand side of the front door. With the fuse board (going to be upgraded to consumer unit/S ) At ceiling height on the left-hand side of the front door.
There is also going to be 2 consumer units as there is night storage heaters, so going to need to run 3 cores ( 2 lines, one for each consumer unit and one neutral , then split in a Henley next to the consumer units )
The existing 10 mm tails Have been fed at an angle through the cavity, so definitely not going to be able to follow this route. Can’t drill through the back of the meter box and bring into the property as the bathroom is behind the meter box, leaving the only option to either run in SWA externally up from the meter box and then across to the consumer unit location and then drilling in , But the idea of 25 mm SWA Trying to do three radius bends and then into the building doesn’t feel like the best way, would also then have the issue of non-double insulated tailes Having to use adaptable boxes with a Henley block inside.
I’m off the thinking that running the 3 cores in standard double insulated meter tails out of the bottom of the meter box vertically and then across to the consumer unit location externally and then drilling them through ,
And fitting them inside 25 mm x 32 mm PVC trunking. Just wanna know what everybody’s thoughts are on this and is acceptable to run meter tails externally in PVC trunking, Earthing is PME,
Any other suggestions are welcome, thoughts please
Thanks in advance

What's the maximum demand for the flats? they're studio flats so, do they have gas heating and hot water or are they all electric?

Would 16mm swa not do? Imo pvc trunking externally wont look good, dont know how it would be after a few years of hard frosts
Could use 4 core SWA , 2 poles N and E, but as theirs 2 boards and limited space in the meter cupboard ( meter cupboard recessed into wall aswell ) going to have to use adaptable boxes each end and Henley blocks in adaptable box at meter end.
My thinking was flexible meter tails more easy to manipulate and no need for adaptable boxes then , but you probably right about the trunking TBF, what about UPVC black conduit ?
Just want the best look but aswell most practical install.

Pvc trunking won't look good/professional and after a few years of sun and frost will be sagging and in bad shape. if you absolutely have to use containment outside I'd be looking at galv. But personally I'd use swa instead

Reply to Running meter tails outside in trunking in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net