Discuss RCB Tripping Advice Please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

My point exactly. All I have done is added a 60amp junction box with a short 6mm cable extension, which isn't connected to anything.

The fact that when you disconnect this, the fault is gone, points to you either installing a damaged cable, or incorrectly.

I presume as you are DIY you have nothing available to test with?

Yes I am DIY. I am just going to have another look at this shortly. Have a multi-meter if that helps?

Could the junction box be faulty is also a question at the back of my mind?

Okay everyone. Have had another look at the problem this morning and can confirm that it looks like the junction box is the cause. When connecting just the junction box to the existing wiring the RCD trips. No extension cable attached at this stage.

Just a bit of trial and error! I connected a standard 30amp junction box, together with the new extension cable, and all is well. RCD not tripping. Nothing else connected to the cable. I'll order another junction box and go from there. Thanks everyone for your kind advice

Well if you have no idea what you are doing and have no way to test if it will be safe then I suppose trial and error is your only way to diagnose a fault. Not that you have done that for sure.
Don't forget to cross your fingers when energising to replace basic test procedure.

Yes I am DIY. I am just going to have another look at this shortly. Have a multi-meter if that helps?
Unlikely... in fact probably unhelpful in that if you don't know what you are doing, you could end up hurting yourself. Read this thread. If you value yours and your family's lives and your home, you will call an electrician.

Okay everyone. Have had another look at the problem this morning and can confirm that it looks like the junction box is the cause. When connecting just the junction box to the existing wiring the RCD trips. No extension cable attached at this stage.

Just a bit of trial and error! I connected a standard 30amp junction box, together with the new extension cable, and all is well. RCD not tripping. Nothing else connected to the cable. I'll order another junction box and go from there. Thanks everyone for your kind advice
It is possible that the Junction box is faulty but EXTREMELY unlikely. It would be simple to test if it was the junction box Chris as you would just test for continuity between the neutral and earth terminals. If there is no continuity then the junction box is not faulty.

It is worrying that you have decided by 'trial and error' that a circuit is now safe to use. I realise you are trying to help your son save some money and probably also enjoy feeling useful to him, but you cant possible liven up that circuit until you have had an electrician look at it. Your son's safety is more important than your need to feel/be helpful.

Right everyone. Had a new J/B and fitted it and all is now well. Sorry I don't have one of these so called 'smart phones' so was unable to take any pictures. When this issue raised 'it's ugly head' I did consider crimp and heat shrink tubing as an alternative, but has I'd already contacted the supplier thought I'd wait until I'd tried the replacement.

I have an old friend of mine who works for the council and is a qualified electrician, but is currently off work at the minute following a knee operation, and he said he will be more than happy to call round when he can to check this out for me.

I will say at this point that I tried several other electricians before contacting my friend but none would entertain calling round and checking this out for me.

Thank you all for you kind help and advice

Right everyone. Had a new J/B and fitted it and all is now well. Sorry I don't have one of these so called 'smart phones' so was unable to take any pictures. When this issue raised 'it's ugly head' I did consider crimp and heat shrink tubing as an alternative, but has I'd already contacted the supplier thought I'd wait until I'd tried the replacement.

I have an old friend of mine who works for the council and is a qualified electrician, but is currently off work at the minute following a knee operation, and he said he will be more than happy to call round when he can to check this out for me.

I will say at this point that I tried several other electricians before contacting my friend but none would entertain calling round and checking this out for me.

Thank you all for you kind help and advice
Thanks for the update Chris and really glad you decided to get an electrician to have a look. It's good to hear how it ends. Still can't quite believe (without seeing it with my own eyes) that it's the junction box though. ;)

Thanks for the update Chris and really glad you decided to get an electrician to have a look. It's good to hear how it ends. Still can't quite believe (without seeing it with my own eyes) that it's the junction box though. ;)
it might well be the junction box if the cat has pi$$ed on it.

Reply to RCB Tripping Advice Please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock