Discuss Relationship between coax splitter and amplifier? in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

New here, so greetings to everyone. Fitted Labgear splitter in loft a few weeks ago to split cable from outside aerial. (One now goes to new tv in bedroom, other downstairs to main tv) Signal is ok (100% quality on all freeview channels, but signal level only about 40% on most)

Only talking about freeview signal, not Sky.

I know splitter can degrade signal, so wondered if I should fit on these amplifiers? I’ve seen the various videos and can fit on in loft adjacent to outside aerial. However, I don’t know if this would effectively replace the splitter or need to be used as well as? Ie are the amplifiers with multiple outputs effectively multiple amplified splitters etc? The other query was that most of these amplifiers plug in at the tv end. Wasn’t sure how that works when the cable is connected to two TVs?

Thanks for your time?

(Thought it would be tricky fitting amplifiers, then cable to splitter et)

The only way you can definitively tell is with a tv signal meter. Signal strength is less important than it used to be, quality is the important factor. Your 40% strength 100% quality is better than my 35% strength 100% quality but in the absence of accurate measurement from a meter, this can only be used as a rough guide.
Amplifying can cause problems so if things are working ok, best to leave it alone

Many thanks for prompt and constructive replies.

Re mains adaptor for amplifier- I’m sure I’ve seen some where they have these at tv end, in addition to amplifier in loft.

Re signal quality v signal level- Point noted, but impact is visual. Ie when you go in channel selection on the tv and scroll down the various channels, some descriptions don’t appear. When you select that channel, it says programme event not available. (Should have also add that aerial detects about 12 multiplexes and signal level varies between 14-58%. Also fluctuates between same multiplex)

Finally, if I got an amplifier, would it replace or complement the existing splitter in loft?

Many thanks again.

Reply to Relationship between coax splitter and amplifier? in the Freeview and Terrestrial TV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net