Discuss Replacing pull chord light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jake88

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all.

DIY question. I've gone to replace a broken pull chord light in my bathroom (switching off mains power at MCU and testing before touching with a Voltage Tester Pen).
IMG-20221230-WA0011.jpg
There are 2 exposed red wires from two separate sets of housing, an exposed earth wire and a neutral wire that is unexposed and passing from one set of cable housing to the next. This doesn't seem to me a standard set up and I'm unsure which red wire should go into Com and which into L1.

Photos attached.

Any help appreciated otherwise I'll just call a handyman.

Thanks
Jake

The blacks joined together are the neutral loop. There are actually two earths in the green/yellow sleeving which should ideally be separately sleeved to ensure correct connection at the earth terminal and to completely cover them. The two reds go across the switch it doesn't matter which way, all those conductors require enclosing into the back box of the new switch.
Good luck trying to secure the new switch to what's left of the ceiling.

Might be worth fastening a piece of timber above that, between the joists. It will be easy to fasten the new switch up then.

The red wire that brings power into the switch should ideally be connected to the 'com' terminal, and the red going off to the lamp should be 'L1', but, as westward says, it will work just as well either way.

The blacks joined together are the neutral loop. There are actually two earths in the green/yellow sleeving which should ideally be separately sleeved to ensure correct connection at the earth terminal and to completely cover them. The two reds go across the switch it doesn't matter which way, all those conductors require enclosing into the back box of the new switch.
Good luck trying to secure the new switch to what's left of the ceiling.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

The red wire that brings power into the switch should ideally be connected to the 'com' terminal, and the red going off to the lamp should be 'L1', but, as westward says, it will work just as well either way.
Thanks Brian

Reply to Replacing pull chord light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net