Search the forum,

Discuss Socket behind new low level panelling - does the cable run need identifying above? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wrightspark

Hi all
I’m a very rusty spark doing some electrical work at my miss’s hair salon. No I don’t have any test qualifications and may have to pay someone to sign off / complete the install.
I have 2 issues hopefully someone can help me with;
I have a socket that’s going to be hidden behind some low level MDF panelling, I’m thinking I need to place a fake box lid above somewhere to show cable run from ceiling, is that right? I guess I could cut into the run at high level and put into ceiling or box. Lots of work as above is a private flat and plastering isn't my strong point.
As I’m creating this panelling from MDF, is it ok to cut and fit knockout boxes behind? There would be no gap; BB would be level with MDF. (Worried about fireproof material).
Regards
Andy

Re: Socket behind new low level panelling - does the cable run need identifying above

Adequecy of access to switchgear and other equipment springs to mind

Re: Socket behind new low level panelling - does the cable run need identifying above

Thanks for the reply, what if I replaced the socket with blanking plate? is the blind cable run an issue?

Are you intending to use the socket or not ?
If not the cable run needs to be identified in case someone decides to fix a mirror etc above it

Possibly more than 2 issues:

You will struggle to find an electrician to sign off your work unless you know a spark that has agreed this first.
You wife has a duty of care to staff and clients to ensure that the electrical installation and equipment is safe under the "Electriciaty At Work Regulations" - this obviously requires the electrician to be competant an insured.
You cannot hide an electrical juction box/accessory behind the panelling as all Non-maintainence free connections must be accessible for maintainence.
Private flat above - any work to the fire barrier that is the ceiling will require the fire rating of the ceiling reinstating ie. intumecent hoods & seals etc - this is a buildings regulation requirement.

Just a few to get you started.

Sounds like a high level single surface box it is. ?
it may be cheaper to get someone else to do the job, our council charges £350 to sign off work and is going to be more that the job itself.
Thanks again for the replies.

Reply to Socket behind new low level panelling - does the cable run need identifying above? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock