Discuss Starting up as a sole trader electrician in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello fellow sparks,

I’ve decided to go out on my own. Recently bought a little van and trying to get myself set up whilst keeping my costs as low as possible. I haven’t really got work (not been putting myself out there yet) but I’m not too worried about not getting work as I can always jump back on site to pick up up on money plus I live with parents so I haven’t got crazy bills to pay.

Here are some questions I have if anyone could kindly advise me on:

1. What are some useful apps softwares that are free or low cost which will help me to do quotes, invoices, materials lists, bookkeeping etc to help things run as smooth as possible on the admins side?

2. Other than speaking to people and word of mouth, what are some other good ways of getting jobs? Any websites/platforms like Checkatrade/mybuilder Facebook/Google etc, also if you know the costs or if the cost varies depending on the package?

3. What are the essentials? I’ve got a van and tools. Public liability and professional indemnity I will be looking to take out soon, I’m looking at rhino trade insurance unless anyone has any other recommendations?

4. How do you deal not getting ripped off by customers? Primarily focusing on new customers? Do you make contracts and make them sign it if it’s a big job? Do you use a card machine as a back up?

5. How do you price up jobs? I know this question will be down to personal preference and trial and error but works best for you? Do you use any excel sheets or formulas to make things time effective when doing quotes?

If there any tips you got for me related or unrelated to the questions please feel free to share them.

Thanks 😀

How I started out finding work.
1) I walked around a shopping area and looked at lighting a signage, then wrote a letter to the manager offering to do the repairs.
2) Wearing a white coat and red hat, I went into different shops with a clipboard and pile of inspection sheets, then found the manager and offered to do the repairs.
Both methods produced satisfying results, they're not going to come to your door, so why not go to theirs?

Hello fellow sparks,

I’ve decided to go out on my own. Recently bought a little van and trying to get myself set up whilst keeping my costs as low as possible. I haven’t really got work (not been putting myself out there yet) but I’m not too worried about not getting work as I can always jump back on site to pick up up on money plus I live with parents so I haven’t got crazy bills to pay.

Here are some questions I have if anyone could kindly advise me on:

1. What are some useful apps softwares that are free or low cost which will help me to do quotes, invoices, materials lists, bookkeeping etc to help things run as smooth as possible on the admins side?

2. Other than speaking to people and word of mouth, what are some other good ways of getting jobs? Any websites/platforms like Checkatrade/mybuilder Facebook/Google etc, also if you know the costs or if the cost varies depending on the package?

3. What are the essentials? I’ve got a van and tools. Public liability and professional indemnity I will be looking to take out soon, I’m looking at rhino trade insurance unless anyone has any other recommendations?

4. How do you deal not getting ripped off by customers? Primarily focusing on new customers? Do you make contracts and make them sign it if it’s a big job? Do you use a card machine as a back up?

5. How do you price up jobs? I know this question will be down to personal preference and trial and error but works best for you? Do you use any excel sheets or formulas to make things time effective when doing quotes?

If there any tips you got for me related or unrelated to the questions please feel free to share them.

Thanks 😀
1. You'll probably (hopfully) be with one of the part P scams and the two main ones have certificates you can use. although they (Napit at least) charge for Minor works certs which is a bit mean of them. I use Powered Now for all my invoicing and minor certs they do EIC and EICR certs on there too. Ive used them for years. it's about £30 a month though!
2. Ive managed fine with facebook and work of mouth. I wouldnt bother with Checkatrade oe my builder. those things are a race to the bottom on price. If you price fair and are fairly transparent then people will get to know you.
3. insurance, tools, decent tester. remember to factor in on going wear and tear on your tools. going it alone quickly gets expensive if you are in the habit of losing or breaking stuff!
4. I always require materials upfront. regardless. It's just a way of making sure you arent out of pocket from the off. Ive only had a couple knock me but at least then it was only labour. they paid in the end but took them weeks/months.
5. Don't give a price in person if you are not 100% sure! I like to tot up all of the materials plus a mark up depending on the customer. by that I mean, If it's an old pair with little in the way of money then It's cost for materials. I don't go mad with mark up. just needs to take into account cost of delivery or going to get it. Labour is difficult. always price on worst case scenario. that way you can shave some off for the customer and they will remember it (hopfully) again, dont go to town on it because you will price yourself out of work but be sensible reasonable at the end. If you have quoted 4 days and it's only taken you 2 and you still charge for 4, people will be quick to judge.

Cheers

Dave

1. You'll probably (hopfully) be with one of the part P scams and the two main ones have certificates you can use. although they (Napit at least) charge for Minor works certs which is a bit mean of them. I use Powered Now for all my invoicing and minor certs they do EIC and EICR certs on there too. Ive used them for years. it's about £30 a month though!
2. Ive managed fine with facebook and work of mouth. I wouldnt bother with Checkatrade oe my builder. those things are a race to the bottom on price. If you price fair and are fairly transparent then people will get to know you.
3. insurance, tools, decent tester. remember to factor in on going wear and tear on your tools. going it alone quickly gets expensive if you are in the habit of losing or breaking stuff!
4. I always require materials upfront. regardless. It's just a way of making sure you arent out of pocket from the off. Ive only had a couple knock me but at least then it was only labour. they paid in the end but took them weeks/months.
5. Don't give a price in person if you are not 100% sure! I like to tot up all of the materials plus a mark up depending on the customer. by that I mean, If it's an old pair with little in the way of money then It's cost for materials. I don't go mad with mark up. just needs to take into account cost of delivery or going to get it. Labour is difficult. always price on worst case scenario. that way you can shave some off for the customer and they will remember it (hopfully) again, dont go to town on it because you will price yourself out of work but be sensible reasonable at the end. If you have quoted 4 days and it's only taken you 2 and you still charge for 4, people will be quick to judge.

Cheers

Dave
Thank you Dave for detailed reply.

1. In regards to being with one of the part P scam artists, what are the requirements? I have yet to complete my inspection and testing which I will be doing soon. I’m looking to go napit to keep costs low

3. Might be a silly question here, but how do you include tools, wear and tear of tools or loss of tools into your cost? I’m guessing you don’t and you just have to fork out have to make to be doing this sort of thing? Or do add on like a small amount on to the end of every job, for example say if a job for a day was materials and labour £550, would you just stick a tenner on top?

5. With marking up on materials what would you add on top if it wasn’t an old couple? Let’s say if you need to go and pick up the materials and also the time of listing the materials. How do you account for time?
Because I’m going to be installing the materials I am providing the customer, for a certain number of months I need to to offer some form of warranty if anything goes wrong I will need to be able to replace it and the mark up long term will cover my time lost. But what is a reasonable percentage to put on top?

Thanks again mate

I'd recommend getting a website up and running ASAP. And sign up to google business thingy so your website ends up in Google maps etc. Fill it with content and get it ranking for the work you want to get in from it.

Also always buy the lads in the local suppliers a butty in the morning. They always get asked if they know a local electrician.

(It worked for me when I sold tiles, I always recommended the tilers who fed me that day - of course all the tilers I recommend were brilliant, it's just the one that fed me gets this customer today kinda thing) ha

Reply to Starting up as a sole trader electrician in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net