Discuss Strange things in the post. Possible hoax or con? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
As the title suggests, we've had a number of letters to an individual addressed to our home, but who doesn't live here... and has never lived here. We've owned the house since it was built.

Normally we send the letters back into the post with "not known at this address" written on it... but today a letter came and the envelope had come undone. So my wife looked inside to find a cheque for £172 or something, and a letter from inland revenue... looking quite official.
Should we just reseal and dump back in a postbox, return to sender?

Come to think of it, the name and address on the envelope was hand written, and had a stamp on it.... The inland revenue would send a typed address label and a prepaid envelope.

Its worrying if someone is using our home address for fraud or other illegal activities... Don't want some bailiff coming to our door saying we owe money!
[automerge]1572463485[/automerge]
Further info.
The letters are NOT from inland revenue as I was told. It’s this person P45 and a cheque, so the hand written envelope has no bearing.

Still begs the question why they used my address with their employer??

I don’t want to take the letter back myself and have to admit we opened and read it, but it’s bothering me now.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing , the world is getting more devious !
(Still no firm ideas about scam - honesty test !)
(Partial thought-The devious may try to create an accout and get him a new location added ,obscuring an evidence trail. Confusing his possible location,
-PC security wise ,would resist googling his name !-

Ok. Update on this. Nothing devious.
I took the letter back to where it came from, admitting that it was open when it came through the letterbox, and I read it.
The lady there said yes, this person worked for us, has now left and was wondering where her last pay was.

Seems she filled in her postcode incorrectly on a computer and never checked. Filled in her house number and just didn’t see it was showing the wrong street name.

There is so many scams going around.... can’t blame me for being cautious

Reply to Strange things in the post. Possible hoax or con? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net