Search the forum,

Discuss sunny boy and connectors in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bramboy

Installing a sunny boy at the moment. I thought all the connectors would be the MC4 type that replaced the MC3 ones. There seems to be some new ones that look simple to make off which came with the sunny boy. Is this sounding correct, the price of the dc crimpers are £300ish. These look an improvement on that planning to use normal crimpers. Thanks

Hi

All the sunnyboys I've fitted recently have been MC4 and I haven't had a MC3 for some time now. Unlike others we use. As for crimpers none of the MC4's are for standard crimpers. You will need the MC4 crimper and I think its about £120 (Ish) We tried some on standard but when the DC voltage was turned on the arced like mad. Had to pull them off and get the crimps.

If there not MC4 you have try and post a picture and we may be able to identify them but MC4 is the norm now.

Can`t post pictures because I`m useless!
The sunny boy comes with push down self crimp connectors but on roof need they are mc4 plugs. Tried cowboy effort to a poor standard so waiting for correct crimpers. Think 150 on net. Or can you put link to cheaper ones. Thanks

Yep you're right the Sunnyboy are self crimp.

£150 for crimpers is about right for MC4. £300 for MC3! I forgot we got a deal price on ours when we ordered over 30 panels in one go.

Are you refferring to sunclix? You dont require any crimpers for all the SMA inverters that come with sunclix in them now, very easy to use and install

Reply to sunny boy and connectors in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net