Discuss Travel time being averaged in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Curious about something, while working I am expected to travel to different sites across the UK, i am unpaid for the first 45 minutes of travel,
But my workplace average the rest of our travel outside of the 45 minutes across the month so I could be working 8 hours away and should be paid for 7 hours and 15 minutes, but then for the rest of the week I'm traveling to site within the 45 minutes so my monthly average is 0 hours paid due to them averaging it out, so over the month I would do 8 days travelling at 8 hours travelled and then then rest of the working days of that month travelling within the unpaid 45 minutes meaning my average travel time is 0 hours travelled, is this right?

I’m not quite understanding

If within the month, you have travelling over the 45 minutes, then the average can never be zero.
It will be lower, but not zero.

Does your company follow SJIB guides? I see you’re in Scotland. They will have online resources about travel time/ expenses.

There should be enough remuneration to cover fuel costs and contribute to general wear and tear repairs if you use your own vehicle.

Are you employed or self employed/contracted, our team was working in Bournemouth a couple of years ago on a deadline to finish that Friday, for some strange reason the contractor decided not to pay our travel time fully, so we all went home on the Monday, its surprising what results direct action takes.

you should be paid approx. 45p/mile for all your travel mileage, from home and back, including any side trips e.g. to wholesalers for any parts needed.

Seems to be some confusion here, so let's assume you are using company transport that you take home. If not, then, as mentioned, remuneration for milage/ wear and tear etc come into play also. I suspect this policy was original introduced to compensate the employer for you not having to get into work and pick up transport at your own expense. 45 mins seems reasonable as an average. So if your worksite is less than 45mins away then it's a win win for you both.

When a site is more than 45mins away then it's also reasonable to deduct the first 45mins. However, after 45 mins you are officially at work and should be paid as such. If you were picking up transport from a depot then your working day would start when you got there, not when you were on site. This averaging malarkey is just a way of getting more hours out of you than they are paying you for. It's not you fault some sites are less than 45mins away. Tell them you will start from a designated base and time and be paid from then. Then negotiate a better settlement from there.

Reply to Travel time being averaged in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net