Discuss Well Pump Control Circuit Troubleshooting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a 4-wire well pump (red, yellow, black, and green) which just quit. Cycling normally, then shut off and never came back on. I've gathered that yellow is the common, red is the leg for the start winding and black is the run winding. I've got a couple ohms (4-ish on my trusty Harbor Frieght multimeter which I do not trust to be very precise) on both the start and run windings, so I suspect the pump is actually okay. I've verified I have power through the pressure switch as L1 and L2 in my control box have 240V. I have 120V to ground on red, yellow, and black (with pump connected, mind you) which is good, but neither the red nor black have any voltage to yellow, thus neither winding is actually powered. So, what is my culprit here? Did my overload disconnect die on me? Did I lose a capacitor? Is my relay stuck in run?

So, I feel a bit silly. I did not realize that overload disconnect had a manual reset button. It on the bottom of my control box pretty far down inside a concrete cylinder that houses my well. The issue was 100% the overload disconnector cutting off L1. It metered as open and was an obvious issue. When I went for the screws to remove it and saw the button. Face-palm.

So, I feel a bit silly. I did not realize that overload disconnect had a manual reset button. It on the bottom of my control box pretty far down inside a concrete cylinder that houses my well. The issue was 100% the overload disconnector cutting off L1. It metered as open and was an obvious issue. When I went for the screws to remove it and saw the button. Face-palm.

Glad you got it sorted! Sometimes it's the simplest things that we overlook.

Well congratulations

Reply to Well Pump Control Circuit Troubleshooting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net