Discuss 220 Volt light Fixture in well house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Buzz95

DIY
Reaction score
My parents have a small well house covering a tank and well pump. The house and well house were built in the 1960s and the pump/control panel is fed by a single electrical cable with 2 hots and a ground. They live in middle GA so it does not get very cold but does occasionally dip below freezing. They would like to install an incandescent light bulb to provide some amount of heat on cold nights.

Based on my research adding a 110 V circuit would require a transformer since there is no neutral wire and running another line or a 110 V line is impractical due to the distance involved.

Could we add a 220 Volt lamp holder with a 220 V 100 watt incandescent bulb?
I found the Leviton 9874 lamp holder:
https://www.ideadigitalcontent.com/files/10962/ID-SPE-v1-9874.pdf
The spec sheet states 2 terminal screws - is it correct that the two hots would connect to the two screws and no neutral is involved?

If that lamp holder will work, would the follow switch work as well:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-Doub...6981&msclkid=655e345041581592ff866bb2751a5c6b

We want to do this with minimal cost but also do not want to do anything that would be unsafe/dangerous.

My parents have a small well house covering a tank and well pump. The house and well house were built in the 1960s and the pump/control panel is fed by a single electrical cable with 2 hots and a ground. They live in middle GA so it does not get very cold but does occasionally dip below freezing. They would like to install an incandescent light bulb to provide some amount of heat on cold nights.

Based on my research adding a 110 V circuit would require a transformer since there is no neutral wire and running another line or a 110 V line is impractical due to the distance involved.

Could we add a 220 Volt lamp holder with a 220 V 100 watt incandescent bulb?
I found the Leviton 9874 lamp holder:
https://www.ideadigitalcontent.com/files/10962/ID-SPE-v1-9874.pdf
The spec sheet states 2 terminal screws - is it correct that the two hots would connect to the two screws and no neutral is involved?

If that lamp holder will work, would the follow switch work as well:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Eaton-Doub...6981&msclkid=655e345041581592ff866bb2751a5c6b

We want to do this with minimal cost but also do not want to do anything that would be unsafe/dangerous.
If you have a 240vac light then I would use that but make sure it’s not 6 inches from combustible materials. I have a well and it doesn’t get colder in Georgia than NC and I went bro Home Depot and bought some 1 inch insulation and wrapped the exposed pipe, then threw an old blanket over the entire well, put cover and have never had mine freeze in 23 years without a light

Reply to 220 Volt light Fixture in well house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net