Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting a USB to a power one 3.6 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

moggy1968

Hi All
A customer of mine is trying to connect a USB stick to a Power One 3.6 inverter and is having problems with it. He has the USB virtual port drivers installed but is only getting limited and sporadic data from the inverter. This suggests it is connected, but is unusable like this.
He's pretty computer savvy but is struggling. I have never tried to connect one.
Any one any ideas?
cheers in anticipation

I've tried this with the same result as above using win7 and have noticed on my investigations on the net that win7 and the power one 3.6 are not entirely compatible. My system will connect with no problem using the virtual port providing the inverter is producing but once production ceases on the inverter appears to be reluctant to reconnect or fails to reconnect.

I'm confused about the expression "USB stick" - do you mean connecting a compute via a USB cable? I'm not aware that i's possible to connect anything other than a computer to the USB port - it's not possible to connect a USB bluetooth dongle or a memory stick.

The USB port is powered off when the inverter is off - if that's the case you'll need to wait until the next day when it's on again.

I have the USB connection working fine under Win XP although it did require a few reboot cycles to get it working consistently but it's now stable.

I think you'll find it will only work with XP, the Aurora remote display is designed to work with XP when connected via USB cable to PC, it may say other versions in some literature but in my experience XP is the only reliable version of windows that it seems to work with, it definately doestnt work with Vista BTW.

I make sure I stress to the customer about the display only working with XP before supplying them with one, it seems logical that firmware may be the same in the inverter.

I think it's worth differentiating between the Aurora Communicator software program running on a computer with a USB (or RS485) connection to the inverter as opposed to the Aurora Desktop Monitor connected wirelessly to the inverter via the Aurora radio card and then occasionally linking the Desktop Monitor via USB to a PC running that same Communicator program. My comments were all for the former; I have no experience with the latter. I understand Win 7 is supported by but i have yet to try it.

Reply to Connecting a USB to a power one 3.6 in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock