Discuss Battery Powered Led Strip Project - Need Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HnyBear

DIY
Reaction score
I am trying to put some led light strips under the fenders of my fat tire E-bike. I’ve been looking at led light strips on Amazon, AliExpress and Alibaba for weeks. I’ve decided on, and please correct me if I’m wrong, SMD 5050 WS2812B 144 led per meter strips. I need 1 meter per fender. Many I’ve found come with a USB micro controller with RF/IR remote control and or Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Everything I’m reading on these strips say they take anywhere from 10 watts to 43.2 watts per meter at 5v. I was hoping to power them with an Anker PowerCore 20,100mAh Portable charger which has 2 USB-A ports each putting out 5v 2.4a. Based on what I’m reading won’t that make for very dim lighting? I’m going for a glow effect while riding at night which will light up my wheel wells brightly and just look cool. I’d also like my power supply to be able to last 4-6 hours. Black PCB, 3M adhesive with at least ip65 and black wiring is a must.

Any help and suggestions are very much appreciated. I am an extreme novice at this and have virtually no knowledge in this type of DIY.

Thank you in advance.

I don't know anything about pimping E-bikes, or the legality thereof, but I could say something about the physics of what you suggest:

The battery pack you mention can supply 5v x 2.4A = 12watts for each of your two 1m strips, so that suggests they would need to be more like 30 or 40 LED's per metre (ie less than 12 watts each)
The 20100 Ah rating (approx 20Ah) means the total 4.8A load above would keep the LED's lit for about 4 hours, in practice probably a bit less.

So if you stick to a modest number of LED's and/or keep the current down, what you suggest should work.

But if you really want bright (you mention 40 watts/metre), and long lasting (you mention 6 hours), you'll need a much bigger battery pack. Also bear in mind actual performance may not be as good as advertised!

I don't know anything about pimping E-bikes, or the legality thereof, but I could say something about the physics of what you suggest:

The battery pack you mention can supply 5v x 2.4A = 12watts for each of your two 1m strips, so that suggests they would need to be more like 30 or 40 LED's per metre (ie less than 12 watts each)
The 20100 Ah rating (approx 20Ah) means the total 4.8A load above would keep the LED's lit for about 4 hours, in practice probably a bit less.

So if you stick to a modest number of LED's and/or keep the current down, what you suggest should work.

But if you really want bright (you mention 40 watts/metre), and long lasting (you mention 6 hours), you'll need a much bigger battery pack. Also bear in mind actual performance may not be as good as advertised!
Thank you very much for the reply. I guess I have some thinking to do. I just wish there was an easier way, like being able to use USB-C for the power to the controller or something. I can't even find a big battery to use only those stupid powerbanks.

Reply to Battery Powered Led Strip Project - Need Help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock