Discuss Dishwasher tripping RCD even when not running? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

OisinT

-
Reaction score
Hi

Every few weeks in the last 6 months the RCD has been tripping in my house. I narrowed it down to the kitchen because the RCD wouldn't reset if all sockets in the kitchen were on. If I turned them all off I could reset it, and if I slowly turned each socket back on one-by-one everything would be fine for a couple of weeks. It wouldn't trip a second time.

This week, it started happening more often, and on the first time when I was turning sockets back on it tripped again immediately when I turned on the dishwashwer switch. The last two times it's happened I have just turned off the dishwasher switch and the RCD can be reset immediately. But the strange thing is that the dishwasher hasn't been running when the initial problem happens. I also don't think that the dishwasher was switched on but I can monitor this further now (when the cycle finishes, you still have to press a button on the top of the door to fully turn it off, which we usually do every time).

So, is there a reason the dishwasher wiring/switch could be tripping the RCD even when the dishwasher is not running?

Thanks for any advice.

TL;DR
Dishwasher switch seems to trip RCD, even when dishwasher is not running
if there is a fault in the cocket or on rhe dishwasher flex uo to it's on/off switch it would trip RCD. possibility is also water ingress.

You‘ve started early on the sauce :mask:
Nah, he just hasn't finished yet...

More seriously, the on/off switch of the dishwasher may be an electronic one (like the "power" button of PCs, etc) and some of the system is always powered. Any sort of fault with that would explain the RCD tripping.

As they deal with water then some sort of leak is an obvious possible reason, but really you need to think about getting the appliance checked out and repaired (or if a decade or so old probably best to replace it).

There is possibly a N-E fault in the dishwasher and it is plugged into a single pole switched socket outlet. As such all the time the DW is plugged in the fault is present regardless of the position of the socket switch and DW controls and likely cause tripping when other loads on the installation are on.
If you dont want to pay for it to be tested leave it unplugged for a few days and see if the problem is solved

Nah, he just hasn't finished yet...

More seriously, the on/off switch of the dishwasher may be an electronic one (like the "power" button of PCs, etc) and some of the system is always powered. Any sort of fault with that would explain the RCD tripping.

As they deal with water then some sort of leak is an obvious possible reason, but really you need to think about getting the appliance checked out and repaired (or if a decade or so old probably best to replace it).
all those negative waves, moriarty, always the negative waves. today's throw away society. humph. fix it, save the planet. better still reclaim scrap appliances from the tip and refurbish them.

all those negative waves, moriarty, always the negative waves. today's throw away society. humph. fix it, save the planet. better still reclaim scrap appliances from the tip and refurbish them.
I agree generally, but often it get to the point where it is just not worth it. At least I suggested 10 year and not 3!
[automerge]1591111858[/automerge]
Hopefully the OP can try out radiohead suggestion of unplugging it for a few days to confirm it really is the dishwasher. If so they can see about getting someone in to repair it and based on what they find decide if it can be kept going or not.

Last edited:
Hopefully the OP can try out radiohead suggestion of unplugging it for a few days to confirm it really is the dishwasher.
Yes the fault could be elsewhere, and the dishwasher fine. The fastest way to find out is to have the circuits/appliances tested.

Reply to Dishwasher tripping RCD even when not running? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock