Search the forum,

Discuss External Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good morning guys

Was looking for advice with regards to installing an outdoor consumer unit. Customer is looking for power to be installed from there property to an area in there garden. There installing a future hot tub and summer house and any future lighting and power. They currently have a small log cabin where I was going to situate a 4 or 6 way consumer unit which can feed any future points. My question is would it be best to fit a standard 18th edition metallic board inside a ip Rated cabinet? I've seen online there are ip65 consumer units which are plastic but obviously that wouldn't meet current regs. I'm just wondering if there is any other things to take into consideration with regards to temperatures

Any advice would be appreciated

Good morning guys

Was looking for advice with regards to installing an outdoor consumer unit. Customer is looking for power to be installed from there property to an area in there garden. There installing a future hot tub and summer house and any future lighting and power. They currently have a small log cabin where I was going to situate a 4 or 6 way consumer unit which can feed any future points. My question is would it be best to fit a standard 18th edition metallic board inside a ip Rated cabinet? I've seen online there are ip65 consumer units which are plastic but obviously that wouldn't meet current regs. I'm just wondering if there is any other things to take into consideration with regards to temperatures

Any advice would be appreciated

I think fitting a plastic ip rated Cu in what is basically a shed would be fine.

If you're looking for quality, use Vector II from Hager. A strong, well designed enclosure, which I've fitted many dozens of, without any failures, apart from the one that was mounted on a wall that was demolished by a runaway truck.
+1 These are excellent units. I have also fitted dozens of these with no issues!

I would agree - always put your units in some sort of outer protection to keep the worst of the weather and UV light off it.

Otherwise it will look a bit tatty in 2-3 years time and any imperfection in the sealing leads to big trouble. If you have some form of outer housing, such as GPR or even a decent wooden box, you won't see anything like the degradation that exposed stuff suffers.

The outdoor metal consumer units are far superior for long service life.
the stainless steel ones will probably outlive the person that installs it, but may well take almost as long to figure out how to pay for it.

I favor these, many sizes available, especially for farm work to put a board or consumer unit in, usually the Hager Vector IP board.
A lot cheaper than the Blakley range but not quite so bomb proof!

I fitted a Hager IP rated 3phase distribution board at a caravan park about 20 years ago that has just started to rust on the base plate. I find a couple of bags of Desiccant silica gelI in the enclosure work wonders too!
Sy

I use the sarel enclosures all the time for machine control panels.
they are good, with anything like that, a couple of ventilation holes in the bottom never do any harm.

I favor these, many sizes available, especially for farm work to put a board or consumer unit in, usually the Hager Vector IP board.
A lot cheaper than the Blakley range but not quite so bomb proof!

There are also stainless steel options in that range and not too expensive (comparatively).

I also found you need a couple of small drain holes on the bottom to avoid damp building up. I was surprised as in my case the boxes also partially vented inside, but maybe the temperature difference outside was causing condensation. If you cannot be 100% sure water will not get in by any route, then make sure it can at least get out again!

If it is well sealed and outdoors
Glorious sunshine all day, air inside heats up and expands.
If the panel is well sealed then the increase in pressure means some of the air gets forced out past a seal somewhere.

When it rains, the panel and the air inside rapidly cools and creates a partial vacuum inside the panel.
If there is any weakness in the seal system and water has collected at that point, the vacuum sucks it inside where as if the pressure was equal it may well just stay on the outside of the panel.

Reply to External Consumer Unit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock