Discuss FiT Meter Readings in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just had a man knock my door from Scottish Power asking to take a meter reading from our solar systems generation meter.

We've had this system in three years now and that was the first time they have read the meter, I usually e-mail the readings quarterly myself,

just a post to see if anyone else has had this, or are they just checking me?

Hi Sparkless

I had a solar pv array installed some time ago in April 2010. Once I had convinced the meter people that they should replace my disc energy meter which was running backwards I was left alone until the second anniversay of the installation in April 2012 when a FIT meter reader visited. Like you I wonderd if they did not believe my readings which had been submitted quarterly by the internet and subsequently I have heard nothing from them, not even a thanks for all my accurate and timely readings! -- but the money keeps arriving.

FiT generation meters are supposed to be read by an independent party once every two years as a precaution against fraud.

It's in the regs somewhere... aha - the latest Fit Licence Mondifications (aka Section 33)

MODIFICATIONS TO THE STANDARD CONDITIONS OF ELECTRICITY SUPPLY LICENCES
3.2 In the event Part 1, clause 3.1 is satisfied, the Mandatory FIT Licensee shall be required as regards making FIT Payments to:
3.2.6 take all reasonable steps to:
(b) verify at least once every 2 years the Generation Meter Readings and Export Meter Readings provided by a FIT Generator or Nominated Recipient, and any Deemed Export Readings, taking due account of guidance from the Authority.

FiT generation meters are supposed to be read by an independent party once every two years as a precaution against fraud.

My parents-in-law have had their array just over a year, and have recently been contacted in order to allow access to their house for a check.
Their system is an average performer, so there's unlikely to have been anything to trigger the check, other than a random spot-check as per the regulations.

It's going to be fun when there are meters in lofts, outdoors in IP65 cabinets, din rail mounted ones in CU's, plus seeing as they are almost always indoors will need you to be home....

Ah wait for it, here it comes .... more MCS Guidelines, this time - where to fit a meter :6: (for some installers that should also include HOW to fit a meter so it isn't recording generation as import running backwards. :rofl: )

Reply to FiT Meter Readings in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net