Discuss Help with New Extractor Fan not Working in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Alfster

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

This is a DIY question (I am not electrical expert). I have an issue replacing a fan to a house I have just moved into. It didn't work when I moved in and looked old so purchased a new one. I have wired it up correctly (I think). I also have a live probe that beeps if wires are live. It goes off when I switch the isolator and circuit breaker back showing the wires are live so can't see why it wouldn't work? I had to use a terminal connector as there is zero slack on the main cable. The internal black terminal connector says L, N, Ls from left to right. Since yellow is Ls I have put that far right then neutral into centre and brown live far left.

Help with New Extractor Fan not Working image0 (7) - EletriciansForums.net

I thought the issue may then be with the circuit in the light fixture. This I'm not soo sure about if it is wired correctly? I mean is that switch wire supposed to be randomly connected to a terminal connector that has nothing else attached to it?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Help with New Extractor Fan not Working image1 (5) - EletriciansForums.net

Help with New Extractor Fan not Working image2 (3) - EletriciansForums.net
Help with New Extractor Fan not Working image3 (1) - EletriciansForums.net

The connection of the light fitting isn't great as it appears to have the original batten holder base floating around inside it. The fact the yellow is not connected within this fitting may or may not be the issue, I would strongly recommend getting an electrician onto it as it wouldn't take long to connect it all correctly and test it for safety.

Last edited:
The connection of the light fitting isn't great as it appears to have the original batten holder base floating around inside it. The fact the yellow is not connected within this fitting may or may not be the issue, I would strongly recommend getting an electrician onto it as it would take long to connect it all correctly and test it for safety.
Ok thank you. How is this live switch wire supposed to be connected? Is it not worth me trying that first?

There may be a reason for it not being connected like some kind of fault or it was simply disconnected to stop the fan functioning. It would be inappropriate to advise where to connect it as we may be placing you in danger.

There may be a reason for it not being connected like some kind of fault or it was simply disconnected to stop the fan functioning. It would be inappropriate to advise where to connect it as we may be placing you in danger.
Hi, so I borrowed a proper voltage tester and turns out the switch live coming out the wall is dead. Therefore, I put a small loop of wire between the live and switch live terminals. However, the fan comes on when the switch is OFF and turns off when the light is on! What have I done wrong? Thanks

I would recommend you get an electrician on board to assess the situation and reconnect it all correctly.

• Agree
Reactions: DPG

Reply to Help with New Extractor Fan not Working in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock