Discuss How to wire an LED dimmer switch from old halogen dimmer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jack4747

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

I’m trying to wire an LED dimmer to replace the older dimmer which is running halogen bulbs. All the wires are the same colour, brown. Two wires go into the COM terminal, and one goes into L2. My new switch has COM, L1 and L2 along with a screw on the metal plate for an earth. I presume the wire which is COM on the old switch goes into COM on the new switch. The same for L2. But how do I know which of the two wires in COM currently is the earth so that I can connect it to the earth on the new plate?

Thanks

KeviHow to wire an LED dimmer switch from old halogen dimmer D912909C-CCE2-4E92-ACDE-CA434C20B870 - EletriciansForums.netHow to wire an LED dimmer switch from old halogen dimmer 86DC0363-F092-4FBA-9D63-3849C4757081 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• How to wire an LED dimmer switch from old halogen dimmer 3B401DB5-7B33-42F4-BBDD-BDAB7B854FCE - EletriciansForums.net
    3B401DB5-7B33-42F4-BBDD-BDAB7B854FCE.jpeg
    332.6 KB · Views: 10
  • How to wire an LED dimmer switch from old halogen dimmer 1497F5F8-5BCA-405E-A1BA-D93315182068 - EletriciansForums.net
    1497F5F8-5BCA-405E-A1BA-D93315182068.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 10
  • How to wire an LED dimmer switch from old halogen dimmer 2BA0AA47-D2C2-461A-98C5-AC66353D5A17 - EletriciansForums.net
    2BA0AA47-D2C2-461A-98C5-AC66353D5A17.jpeg
    345.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
None of those brown wires are earth. You have no earths hence it is not advisable to use a metal switch.

As above, no metal-fronted accessories should be installed in this location (not even the old dimmer) as there does not seem to be any CPC (earth) available. A metal front could become live and present a serious risk of shock in the event of breakdown of the dimmer insulation. If you fit a plastic dimmer switch, connect exactly as before, with the two wires from the old com into the new com. One is the live feed and one is the live loop out to the next switch.

None of those brown wires are earth. You have no earths hence it is not advisable to use a metal switch.
Ok, thanks for the reply. So if I use a plastic switch plate instead I can just put the same two wires from com to com and l2 from old switch to l2 on new switch?

As above, no metal-fronted accessories should be installed in this location (not even the old dimmer) as there does not seem to be any CPC (earth) available. A metal front could become live and present a serious risk of shock in the event of breakdown of the dimmer insulation. If you fit a plastic dimmer switch, connect exactly as before, with the two wires from the old com into the new com. One is the live feed and one is the live loop out to the next switch.
Got it, thanks Lucien!

Reply to How to wire an LED dimmer switch from old halogen dimmer in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock