Discuss Led spotlights/downlights - how many please help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Y

yipee458

Hi, I'm wanting to have some downlights fitted with gu10 LED bulbs 4w equivalent to 50w. The ceiling measures 5.92m by 3.57m. Can anyone advise how many would be suitable for this room size and how best to space them. Thanks

another quick thing, might aswell keep on one topic. i want to get a remote dimmer switch, does anyone know of any usable with led bulbs. thanx

I'd go for 10. My rule of thumb is no more than 150 apart, starting with 75 off of the wall. Joist depending of course

Post 6 bang on pardon the pun! Joist permitting or if you're really unlucky RSJ permitting I use a unsheathed screwdriver have a precheck

Post 6 bang on pardon the pun! Joist permitting or if you're really unlucky RSJ permitting I use a unsheathed screwdriver have a precheck

You work to 150 aswell? I normally mark the lights out with a laser and then pop little pilot holes around it roughly the downlight size

I was referring to be governed by the joists I.e measuring the d/l all out so they would look neat as then what would you know a bit of wood is in my way

What room is? Because if its the kitchen the cupboard will throw out all of those calculations. Its not good having a down light directly above a cupboard. And then there's the joist spacing etc, I hate spacing down lights, actually, I hate down lights!
What about a lovely pendant, with a nice shade?

No, seriously, 150 what?
Presumably, from context, 150 cm.

Yipee458 selecting a dimmer switch is dependent on the lamps you have the lamps must be suitable for dimming and will normally specify if you need a leading edge or trailing edge dimmer. Whichever type you need they must be low load dimmers capable of running at a low wattage normally 0-100W or so.
Standard dimmer switches may work for a while but will eventually damage the lamps as the output is not suitable for LEDs.

BTW a 4W LED lamp will only be likely equivalent to 35W. Keep an eye on the beam angle as well.

BTW a 4W LED lamp will only be likely equivalent to 35W. Keep an eye on the beam angle as well.

I've just ordered some of these as my demo samples:
Ledlite LED Downlights IP66 Fire Rated
You can change your mind about beam angle after they're installed, which is nice.

And here's a pic of a job where the electrician didn't talk to the customer about the kitchen layout (not mine):
Led spotlights/downlights - how many please help 24-IMG_3561.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Thread #16
i know of a case similar to this but it turned out that the customer decided to have extra units fitted without telling the spark

Personally when fitting spots, I work out where the joists are then mark on the ceiling where the lights are going to be and ensure they look right, in a kitchen I would go approx 1m apart, in a lounge stretch it to about 1.5m apart.

Draw the room out on a piece of paper and mark the lights on, it usually gives a good idea, or if a kitchen draw on the plans

What a fail. Have to leave em like it and call them angled wall washers instead simples!

What a fail. Have to leave em like it and call them angled wall washers instead simples!
I doubt that they would meet the usual 0.5m separation from nearby surfaces instructions!
If they did, put adjustable down lights in to provide "an indirect lighting experience without overpowering the user with reflective light"!
Planned and played for obviously:speechless:

Reply to Led spotlights/downlights - how many please help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock