Discuss Looped service head?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys,just turned up at a 3 bed mid terrace,am I right in thinking this is a looped service head? Also,am I right to be concerned about what appears to be a leak from the bottom? The earth clamp onto the incomer is also loose.
6ECF5311-DA5A-4D86-AAD5-7D95253AE772.jpeg
BF0EA70F-37C6-4801-9B90-10F82DADDFF0.jpeg

Attachments

• 320C1905-4F04-4B9E-BF86-97BA7FD64646.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 10
  • FF20C4B9-AFA2-435F-AD8B-1E17E0207F79.jpeg
    64.5 KB · Views: 10
Looking at the state of it I would be asking the DNO to take a look at it.
There looks to be a few things wrong with it not least the insulation on the cable that loops to next door and the cover that looks like it is missing
Yeah,it certainly doesn’t look the best does it. It’s definitely leaking at the bottom. Just a bit buts leaking.

Yes it's looped, the condition of the head is actually not too bad.

DNOs are looking to remove looped supplies, so if you inform them of a poor earth and everything else they will do doubt replace it and split it non-looped.

Perhaps they would also use a more suitably coloured earth connection!
Yes.... the red is rather aye catching isn’t it!

Yes it's looped, the condition of the head is actually not too bad.

On some of the jobs where I've got the DNO involved they have replaced service heads in far better condition than that one

DNOs are looking to remove looped supplies, so if you inform them of a poor earth and everything else they will do doubt replace it and split it non-looped.

Had one about 18 months ago and the DNO had no intention of removing the looped supply took about 6 months to get a damaged service head swapped as the next door neighbour had to be at home when they did it so polarity and earthing could be checked when the job was completed, tried to force them to split the supply to speed up the work but got nowhere

Around the WPD dno region in Bath and Bristol they will remove looped cut outs free of charge if you tell them you are fitting an ev charger or other low carbon kit such as heat pumps. they have to facilitate the adoption of low carbon stuff. Have had 3 cut outs changed recently for this very reason

To be honest, It’s more the condition of it than it being looped I’m concerned about. That earth onto the outer sheath is loose and I certainly ain’t trying to tighten it up! And that slightly suspicious leak at the bottom..... better safe than sorry I think.

I would call that a submain rather than a looped service. In the DNO I used to work for a looped service came from the bottom side of the cut out, a submain comes from the top side and is fused. I wouldn't get too excited about the condition of the cut out, there is a lot worse out there. I would be surprised if that earth clamp was installed by the DNO they would normally sweat an earth onto the sheath, I suspect the earth clamp was installed by a spark. How are the Ze readings? this could be a L & N supply only with the lead sheath not connected to anything in the street.

Well..... it was an Eicr in a rental. There was no credit on the meter. I couldn’t do any live testing,I’m gonna have to go back. The letting agent tried to get credit on the meter but with no joy unfortunately. Return trip shortly!!

Reply to Looped service head?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net