Currently reading:
Main consumer unit in wooden outbuilding

Discuss Main consumer unit in wooden outbuilding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pncomms

Looking for a bit of advice here. I am replacing the CU which is currently in a shower room. Now, don't gasp too hard, it's not as bad as it sounds. The shower is in a totally enclosed cubicle with a good extractor, and the room never gets steamy or has condensation. The existing CU is in a cupboard which is diagonally 1.6M from the outside of the cubicle, ie, outside zone 2. The door does not currently have a lock on but easily could, or some other means of securing it but allowing emergency access. There is no other location in the room or adjacent rooms to site it. However, on the other side of the wall is a wooden workshop (yeah OK a shed), that the house wall forms one wall of. It is a substantial, dry, permanent construction. I am thinking it might be better to put the CU in there? Any thoughts?? There is no excessive dust etc created in it by the way. Seems like a better idea to me. I am aware I will need to notify this.

If the NICEIC advisor really said that to you, then it only goes to show just what a shower they really are on that advice line!! So what was his reasoning behind that gem of advice then??

...Didn't catch his name by the way did you??? ...lol!!!
I did get his name yes, but I'm not about to go advertising it on here! However, I can understand his reasoning to be honest. I am sure I am not as experienced as a lot of guy's on here but nobody has yet come up with a good technical argument as to why the "outbuilding" is such a bad idea. Near where I live there are complete properties built out of timber, and I am sure they don't rely on candles! If the workshop, shall we call it, ever needs to be taken down or falls down in 25 years time, then it will have to go back in the airing cupboard. Surely, it is more sensible to move it out of a location where it may be exposed to a humid atmosphere, however unlikely? If someone can provide either a reg's or other technical reason then I would appreciate it. I understand there has been a consensus of opinion and as has been said, they are opinions. As a comparative newbie to this who could blame me for taking the advice of the NICEIC? Are you saying they are a bunch of idiots? I would tend to think at the moment that the best thing to do would be to put it in an IP rated enclosure, but unfortunately they all seem too big to fit in the space I have available.

I think as the installation electrician it's now time for you to make an installation decision as you are the person onsite with all the available information as to environmental conditions, after all that's what we are trained to do within he industry day after day.

I did get his name yes, but I'm not about to go advertising it on here! However, I can understand his reasoning to be honest. I am sure I am not as experienced as a lot of guy's on here but nobody has yet come up with a good technical argument as to why the "outbuilding" is such a bad idea. Near where I live there are complete properties built out of timber, and I am sure they don't rely on candles! If the workshop, shall we call it, ever needs to be taken down or falls down in 25 years time, then it will have to go back in the airing cupboard. Surely, it is more sensible to move it out of a location where it may be exposed to a humid atmosphere, however unlikely? If someone can provide either a reg's or other technical reason then I would appreciate it. I understand there has been a consensus of opinion and as has been said, they are opinions. As a comparative newbie to this who could blame me for taking the advice of the NICEIC? Are you saying they are a bunch of idiots? I would tend to think at the moment that the best thing to do would be to put it in an IP rated enclosure, but unfortunately they all seem too big to fit in the space I have available.
is the wooden building a decent quality building with a proper roof and secure structure?

is the wooden building a decent quality building with a proper roof and secure structure?
Ah do I sense your coming round a bit?? Yep, its ply lined on the inside, timber clad outside, proper bitumen underlay and felted roof, 1 3/4 inch solid timber door. Like I said, it ain't a potting shed. And of course, I'm not going to dream of moving the intake and meter, but if it had to be moved would the DNO put it in a shower room??

Ah do I sense your coming round a bit?? Yep, its ply lined on the inside, timber clad outside, proper bitumen underlay and felted roof, 1 3/4 inch solid timber door. Like I said, it ain't a potting shed. And of course, I'm not going to dream of moving the intake and meter, but if it had to be moved would the DNO put it in a shower room??
Without a picture of the building there is no way I will advise you to move the board into it, however as mentioned before, it is your call, only you have seen the site.

Well I wouldn't tube around my loft space to stick a light in it would you?
Yep.. knew as soon as I sent that....someone would say loft spaces etc. What I meant was, in a wooden building / shed etc.
Yes I've used buckle clips and tower clips directly onto wood. Instructor informed us whilst doing 2395 that not allowed no longer.

Attachments

• monk-seal_632_600x450.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 42
Oh I got to say as well, I'm not sure that a man who likes creamflow should be taken seriously anyway, *****g awful stuff.
just read most of this thread. it's obvious that you're a kosher bloke from the above post. sod the electrics side, any man who hates cumflow has got to have a half decent brain.

Off track slightly....but are you allowed to clip cables directly onto wood surfaces nowadays? Or must cables now be enclosed in conduit / trunking etc.
clips? you cannot be serious. in a loft it's going to be buried under a foot of itchy-poo anyway. why waste clips where nobody can see?

Reply to Main consumer unit in wooden outbuilding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back