Discuss Main consumer unit in wooden outbuilding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pncomms

Looking for a bit of advice here. I am replacing the CU which is currently in a shower room. Now, don't gasp too hard, it's not as bad as it sounds. The shower is in a totally enclosed cubicle with a good extractor, and the room never gets steamy or has condensation. The existing CU is in a cupboard which is diagonally 1.6M from the outside of the cubicle, ie, outside zone 2. The door does not currently have a lock on but easily could, or some other means of securing it but allowing emergency access. There is no other location in the room or adjacent rooms to site it. However, on the other side of the wall is a wooden workshop (yeah OK a shed), that the house wall forms one wall of. It is a substantial, dry, permanent construction. I am thinking it might be better to put the CU in there? Any thoughts?? There is no excessive dust etc created in it by the way. Seems like a better idea to me. I am aware I will need to notify this.

first, what's the earthing systerm, and have you done prelim. tests and checked bonding etc.?

You really need to think about what you're saying here, as your thinking on this matter doesn't seem to be considering the down sides at all!!

Is this wooden shed going to outlast the CU?? Do you Really think it's going to be a good idea to locate a CU in an outdoor wooden shed, that would mean someone having to go outside maybe in the pouring rain or a snow storm in the event of a MCB/RCD tripping?? How weather/waterproof is this wooden shed going to remain over the years etc?

If the CU is causing no problems in it's present position, ...according to your own words, then WHY are you even thinking of moving it, especially to really dumb position as described here??

OK, to answer the points raised, and i do wish people would refrain from making comments like "really dumb" which are not helpful or particularly relevant - anyway: Prelim checks have been done, and main earthing and bonding have also been done. I am replacing the CU for several reasons, it is too small, it is in the shower room (as described) and it is also damaged. I think if I was considering installing it in it's current location, then that would probably also attract comments like really dumb?? As I have indicated the outbuilding is substantial and probably will, yes, be there for many many years. It is used as a workshop and is/will be maintained, it is not a "potting shed" I can't see that going 5 yards outside to reset MCB's (how often does that happen???) is a massive problem, compared to having it in a shower room? Is this not as big a problem as I think then??

if it goes above a door frame, other than looking crap, its going to involve a long run of meter tails, which is also not a great idea? Why is the shed, such a bad idea?? It's dry, secure and permanent. It's not a "shed" as would commonly be imagined, its a wooded outbuilding attached to the property.

if it goes above a door frame, other than looking crap, its going to involve a long run of meter tails, which is also not a great idea? Why is the shed, such a bad idea?? It's dry, secure and permanent. It's not a "shed" as would commonly be imagined, its a wooded outbuilding attached to the property.
You have had some advice, you do not need to take any notice of it, if you want to stick it in the shed then stick it in the shed, FWIW I think if you could get a large plastic serel box and stick the new DB in it you would have ipx65 protection as well and it will be fine where it is, your call. something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/weatherproo...289396&sr=8-4&keywords=weatherproof+enclosure

Looking for a bit of advice here. I am replacing the CU which is currently in a shower room. Now, don't gasp too hard, it's not as bad as it sounds. The shower is in a totally enclosed cubicle with a good extractor, and the room never gets steamy or has condensation. The existing CU is in a cupboard which is diagonally 1.6M from the outside of the cubicle, ie, outside zone 2. The door does not currently have a lock on but easily could, or some other means of securing it but allowing emergency access. There is no other location in the room or adjacent rooms to site it. However, on the other side of the wall is a wooden workshop (yeah OK a shed), that the house wall forms one wall of. It is a substantial, dry, permanent construction. I am thinking it might be better to put the CU in there? Any thoughts?? There is no excessive dust etc created in it by the way. Seems like a better idea to me. I am aware I will need to notify this.

I think it may be this that is giving the 'shed' impression

Reply to Main consumer unit in wooden outbuilding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net