Discuss Meter reading corrupted in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

That is possible that the digits have moved when the meter is removed from the wall , but only energy providers should be doing this. Looking at your readings it has gone back.
Do you have any past billing with the (original readings) if so take a picture plus the reading showing now include the meter serial numbers in picture and on your bill.

Having said all this they should have actual past readings anyway
The power company have my meter reading history going back years as I’ve been with them a long time and I sent them a photo of the reading when I noticed the discrepancy.
They kept asking me for a photograph of before the work but neither the housing association or the contractor have one and I pointed out to the power company that I don’t regularly take photographs of my electricity meter. They insisted they needed a photograph and closed the investigation but citizens advice and consumer advice Scotland both say that my meter reading history should be sufficient evidence.

The position of the Red sticker (for smoke detector?) on the trunking under the consumer unit and meter in the first photo is under the corner of the meter and on the second photo under the new isolator with the meter moved to the left.
The meter has most definitely been moved by whoever fitted the new isolator so will have been lifted off the wall and most likely laid on the floor. There will also be evidence of old screw holes for the meter fixings in the back board showing it's previous location.
This may have been what's disturbed the reading and together with evidence of previous energy usage should be enough to cast doubt on the current reading.

Contact the your Energy supplier and tell them you're raising the issue with Ofgem and then raise the issue with Ofgem.
I’ve already sent all this to the power company and used that exact explanation to show the meter had infact been moved. At this point the contractor finally admitted they had moved the meter.
However, power company are insisting they need a before photograph. I haven’t got one and said they have my meter reading history.

New tails as well to the cut out
Hand it back to your landlord as he got the works done so in theory his issue
I have told the landlords numerous times that it’s there issue to resolve but they have left me to sort it. Citizens advice and consumer advice both said this too.
I’ve raised a formal complaint with the landlords regarding this.

The meter reading has gone round the clock if that actually happened through usage which it didn't assuredly

77>>> 17 is where u get the 40k
Yes this is where the 40,000 figure comes from.
I said to the power company the reading has gone backwards but they said no it’s gone forwards by 40,000 but that does seem unusually high.

There will be a date under the glass on the face of the meter, probably month / year.
If that's over 20yrs then the meter is out of calibration and should already have been changed.
Power company advised it was installed in April 1988.

Tape a strong magnet to the front of the meter to slow the disc down enough to compensate for the 40,000 units..

I didn't just say that.

Its going to come down to the electrician taking it off the wall, which he shouldn't have in the eyes of the supplier. Hopefully, the supplier will realise this and not charge you.
Keep at them, get OFGEM involved, dont pay, its not your fault!

Please keep us advised of the progress of this. Its going to be an interesting one.
Thanks, I’ve contacted power company again and raised the meter might have been laid down and the numbers could have moved. Waiting on their response. I’m hoping common sense will prevail but it looks like we’re heading to deadlock!

You are responsible for YOUR actions- it is NOT your actions that have caused a problem here.

Your landlord and their contractor have caused an issue and THEY have moved the meter (not your meter- the suppliers meter)

Who are the supplier?

Before you call again get a VOIP number that allows call recording (I use Net-Telco) and call again.

Let them know you want to raise a formal complaint and that you are recording the call, this usually sharpens their mind
I’ve tried getting the landlord to take responsibility but they are leaving me to try and sort it out with the power company. I’ve raised a formal complaint with the landlord about it too.
Doing everything by email so I have a paper trail of everything.

Had something similar once, but with a water meter. Comparing the alleged current reading with several previous readings, then adding the normal expected usage to the last correct reading clearly showed that a digit had moved that shouldn't have.
Was sorted easily enough, but first I had to wade through multiple layers of script reading call centre staff, each slightly further up the command chain than the last, before finally reaching someone who was authorised to actually think.
I’m glad to hear you got it sorted out. It feels like common sense is sadly lacking here and I’ve been losing hope of ever getting it resolved. Hopefully I’ll get there in the end though.

40,000 units in what? 20 days? For ease of calculation that’s 2000 units a day…
A unit is a kW per hour. 24 hours in a day…
2000/24 that’s 83.33 kW EVERY HOUR!

83,333 Watts, divided by a generous 250 volts is…..

333 Amps. All the time.

Even over 60 days, that’s more than your main supplier fuse can handle.
Thank you for this. That might be useful for me to tell the power company although I expect they should already know that. The word impossible has been used a few times but the power company have just said it’s unusually high.

Yes this is where the 40,000 figure comes from.
I said to the power company the reading has gone backwards but they said no it’s gone forwards by 40,000 but that does seem unusually high.
Haven't seen it but based on posts above looks like digits can skip.Telectrixs post seems a strong possibility then.

Power company's default position is reading occured through usage.

As advised make sure payment can't go through or you'll have 2 battles

The most important thing to do first is to stop the Energy supplier from billing the O.P
If the O.P is on a similar rate to me per kwh then the outstanding for the 40000 is around £6700.

OFGEM should be able to at least get the supplier to hold back the charge for now on the basis, as Littlespark's example, it would have been almost impossible for that usage during the period.

However just a warning,the energy supplier may argue that the O.P has been sending under readings in and the 40000 is an accumulation of the outstanding.

AS the Energy supplier have closed the case that's perfect for an OFGEM complaint as the supplier will no longer discuss it and don't appear to have made any reasonable attempt to sort it out.

Whoever fitted the Isolator also appears to have replaced the meter to consumer unit tails ((brown / blue cables) and the tails from the fuse cutout (lower right) to the meter.
As the meter and the tails to the cutout are the property of the Energy supplier then whoever did that work, which involved cutting the meter seals and moving it, MUST have had authorisation from the Energy supplier.
If they didn't get it then the Energy supplier also needs to chase up why the work was done without their knowledge, initially through the Landlord who will have paid for someone to do it.
Thanks for this. I’ve asked the power company for a letter of deadlock if they are saying the investigation has been closed so that I can take it to Ofgem.
My understanding is that the power company and the DNO should have been involved but the power company have just said the moving of the meter looks reasonable in the circumstances despite the fact they knew nothing about it.

Thank you to everyone for your responses and advice.
I have contacted the power company again and raised the issue of the meter being moved having the potential to change the numbers in the meter and I have asked for a letter of deadlock if the matter can not be resolved so that I can take the issue to Ofgem.
I have also raised a formal complaint with the landlords as they have not taken responsibility for the issues caused by the work they carried out.
I post any updates I get.

but the power company have just said the moving of the meter looks reasonable in the circumstances despite the fact they knew nothing about it.

So they accept the meter has been moved.

I doubt you'll get the person who moved the meter to admit they dropped it or mishandled it but if they knew you were faced with a £6000 + bill as a result of their actions they may have to think about what they did more.

So they accept the meter has been moved.

I doubt you'll get the person who moved the meter to admit they dropped it or mishandled it but if they knew you were faced with a £6000 + bill as a result of their actions they may have to think about what they did more.
The contractors are well aware of what’s going on but are saying nothing the electrician did could have affected the meter. They don’t care that I’m facing such a big bill.
I have a photograph showing chips to the casing of the meter on the top left hand corner but I don’t know if this would be enough to evidence something happened to it as I don’t have a before image. I’ve logged it with the power company anyway.

Attachments

• Meter reading corrupted 4FF43F83-1109-4CF5-8544-1C26F538340E - EletriciansForums.net
    4FF43F83-1109-4CF5-8544-1C26F538340E.jpeg
    405.2 KB · Views: 42
The contractors are well aware of what’s going on but are saying nothing the electrician did could have affected the meter. They don’t care that I’m facing such a big bill.
I have a photograph showing chips to the casing of the meter on the top left hand corner but I don’t know if this would be enough to evidence something happened to it as I don’t have a before image. I’ve logged it with the power company anyway.

Attachments

• Meter reading corrupted 65936C0C-30BA-401E-B9B3-8F1F037771B4 - EletriciansForums.net
    65936C0C-30BA-401E-B9B3-8F1F037771B4.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 38
The meter looks like a Sangamo Floton meter.
I found this on a forum from a New Zealand (basically all the same systems as the U.K) meter calibrator / tester.

The Floton bearing meters 1970's ( Sangamo series ) did not have any major problems at all except Jamming jumping dials.

Reply to Meter reading corrupted in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock