Currently reading:
Neff oven tripping circuit breakers

Discuss Neff oven tripping circuit breakers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Kevanto

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi
Wondering if anyone can help.....
I have a 20 year old (yep, pretty old!) Neff Circotherm oven which worked perfectly well until last week, when the 13amp wall socket it is wired into "blew" - it tripped the other wall sockets in the kitchen, and resetting the circuit breakers did nothing - it just blew again. 13amp fuse appears still to be working, i.e. it isn't that fuse which is blowing.
Internet DIY forums all pointed to the element, and I ordered and fitted a new one - but exaclty the same result.
Any ideas what else the problem could be?
I know the thing doens't owe us anything and we should buy a new one....but it sort of matches everything else we have, and She Who Must be Obeyed would rather it was back in working order.......:)
Any advice greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Kev

I gather then when you unplug your oven the Circuit breakers stays in and the other sockets work?

Have you any test gear at all? You ideally need a Insullation Resistance tester to test your oven with. If you haven't got one then you will struggle.

But amazed at what you wrote.

1 You managed to get a 20 yr old element

2 That HWMBO likes a 20 yr old kitchen. Can I swop her for mine!!!

Hi Malcom
The most amazing fact is actually that I managed to change the element - I'm the least "handy" man on the planet! (God bless Youtube!). So Test Gear etc means it's above my paygrade, and I need to start looking for a Domestic Appliiance guy, I think.
Thanks for taking the time to read my post, and I appreciate the advice - but I think the swop idea may be an altogether different forum :eek:
Kev

You may need the services of an electrician rather than an "appliance guy". It could well be that there is some damage to your electrical installation, particularly if the plug fuse didn't blow. Post your location as there may be someone on here who lives nearby.

excellent advice, ringer, sounds to me it could be the switch/stat on the oven disintegrated and /or spade crimps - had it before.

Hi, Would be grateful for any comments / suggestions please re a Neff induction hob, model T4243XO/09. For no apparent reason it will not power up. The unit has worked faultessly for 2 years it cooked dinner ok last night, but tonight it will not switch on. There is power to the wall switch and the circuit breaker has not tripped. Any ideas please ??

knock off the correct breaker and/or RCD and take the wall switch off, not disconnect, just look at the terminals for signs of burning,cable ends as well.
also, how does the switch "feel" when you turn it on. is it a positive action?

Has someone put it on 'auto' mode? Had similar symptoms in the past, and someone had switched on the auto mode, so the cooker wouldn't operate manually.

edit - just realised it's a hob. Thought it was a cooker. Doubt you would have auto mode on a hob!

Last edited:
Many thanks for a super fast response teletrix ! Did as you suggest earlier this evening, I could not see ar smell any sign of burning and the Crabtree cooker switch "felt" strong as normal. Circuit tested both input and output and power was present.

Then looks like you have to get to the connection point inside the hob. Make sure you isolate the circuit and then remove the hob's cover to expose the cables that is feeding it. Then switch the circuit back on and check to see if there is power there.

To check all these different places for voltage you should ideally have something like this and be confident enough you can do it.

Greenlee GT-55E Voltage Tester Easyvolt I 690v [KL-GT55E] - £47.55 : Horizon Tools and Ladders | Buy a Tool or Ladder Online

If you haven't then it may pay you to get an electrcian in or an appliance engineer to check over.

check also connection point in wall behind cooker ( if there is one ) . i have seen choc blocks and all sorts of weird connectins out of sight

Neff induction hobs are pre wired with a flex, the terminal block is not accessable without removing the ceramic top. Fairly straight forward to do, remove hob from worktop and remove, 3 screws on each side, top lifts off the frame. The mains terminals are under the left and right power boards, you may need to remove the boards to get at them. All that said you will probably find power is ok, these hobs have a habit of the left hand power board failing. Check the age of the appliance as Neff have a 2 year guarantee, otherwise it is a very expensive repair.

Malcolm / telectrix / CJB - many thanks to you all for your very kind advice. Regret due to intense ear-ache from "you know who" I had to call out Neff, who came this morning and as CJB said, it was the left hand board that had failed. Needless to say the hob was bought June 2008, i.e 6 months out of warranty. I am not a happy bunny. So much for buying expensive German quality brands, eh !!!

how has the board failed. pcb track can be repaired with a bit of fuse wire and a soldering iron.

Je ne sais pas !! The engineer checked the pcb, said it was kaput, fitted a new unit, re-assembled the hob, which then worked ok, gave me the old pcb which has no visible signs of damage, then departed, leaving me many pounds lighter in the pocket.

throw away world. keep the old one. i've done a lot of electronic repairs in my time. most boards can be repaired, just a question of diagnosing the fault. remember a MOT test rolling road Kaput. Crypton quoted £ 800 + vat to replace a pcb... i fitted 2 i/cs, cost me £6, and charged the garage £80. they were over the moon.

You are a man after my own heart ! I do not object to anyone paying for doing a good job, but £200 for 10 minutes when as you say POSSIBLY half an hour with the right testing kit and a bent pin and maybe, just maybe we are ok for the next ten years. That's life unfortunately, plus senior management cannot wait for anything. That's my own fault, I should have listened to my mother many years ago !!!!

Reply to Neff oven tripping circuit breakers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock